• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Monarch

Maverickson

Hi All,

Wanted to share my latest creation with the Forum members. In this case, it is a reproduction of a size 44 AN-J-3A Monarch. I'm a big fan of this make jacket. Hope you enjoy looking!

The Monarch jacket's lining is unusual. All those individual panels in this lining are topstitched. Monarch went well above & beyond what was required. Especially in their USN jackets.

The Monarch sleeve design and the way it attaches into the body of the jacket is quite unique & slightly complicated.

I sourced a correct mid War brass Talon especially for this project.

Went so far as to even attach those secondary labels as found on these originally.

It was actually a pleasure to be able to build one of this jacket from scratch. In the past, most all of my projects have been rebuilding. I've been taking these jacket into little pieces for many years now and systematically reassembling them. That work taught me the basics of these vintage jackets. Am still more fired up about originals but those more difficult to obtain jackets like this Monarch are nearly impossible to have otherwise.

Currently, I own three original USN Monarch jackets & ended up using them all to come up with the pattern for this jacket. That original Monarch seen on the right is the only true WW-2 Large size Monarch I've ever encountered.

Hope you all enjoy! There is more to come :)

Cheers, Dave

bazelot

It is a beautiful jacket Dave. Congrats. I know how much effort it took and it was all worth it.

chamboid

That looks absolutely superb. Where's the goat skin from?

Also where did you source the purple knits I need some to restore an original I picket up last year.

Silver Surfer

ahhhh, finished at last. a true labor of love. i actually like your remake better then the way the original looks, in terms of hide coloration. ya dun gud, dave. kickass

Brent

Now that I can see, what a fantastic looking jacket. The talent demonstrated by forum members here never ceases to amaze me.