• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My latest MA-1 purchase

Weasel_Loader

Just wanted to share my latest MA-1 purchase. I've been looking for this model for a long, long time in XL. I really wanted a C model but settled for this '64 Alpha D model. The C&C Crown zippers work so much more smoothly than the Conmars on these MA-1s. The bad part about this Alpha is it's sizing. It fits more like a Large than X-Large compared to my C model Skyline. Almost 1" shorter in sleeve and body length. It'll be a while before I can comfortably wear this jacket, but I'm working on it! ;)

Here is my Skyline C model with 43rd Bomb Wing Hustler patches. All patches are original except for the 63rd Bomb Squadron chest patch. The one shown is a repro and not sewn to the jacket. Still waiting for an original 43rd BW squadron patch (63rd, 64th or 65th BS).

IMG_0197.jpg

My favorite 43rd Bomb Wing photo. L-2Bs here but great shot.

B58Crew.jpg

This is my new '64 Alpha D model with 305th Bomb Wing patches.

IMG_0196.jpg

One of my favorite 305th photos. The aircrew are wearing the later "smaller" 4" version of the 305th BW patch. The Commander on the left has the earlier "super large" version with an MA-1.

B-58FirstMission.jpg

greyhound52

Danny,
Very nice. I too have a D model and it is my fav in the MA-1 range. Hey can you get some of those B-58 patches as repros and if so where?

George

Great jacket. Looking at that one reminds me that I don't currently have a single nylon or cloth flight jacket. :eek:

I once had a blue B15 and and Marine Corps G-8 ( I think that's what they were called? )

Need to invest in some non-leather jackets. I miss them.

Atticus

Hi Danny,

Great snag! I think that you are going to really like that Alpha.

This is my '65 D-series Alpha that is probably my most-worn MA-1. Oddly enough, the only MA-1 in my collection that is larger than this jacket is a '72 E-series Alpha.

This old vet saw much hard wear before it came to me. As you can see, I replaced all of the knits. I also dry cleaned it three or four times and re-did the old repair on the front. The chest patch is original, as are the wings. The name strip is a wrong-width repro that I had left over from another project. I just stuck it on the jacket to sorta balance the wings.

By the way, I totally agree with you about the old C&C Crown zippers. They are as smooth as glass.

wisconsin165.jpg

AF

Peter Graham

Nice snag Danny, looks like it's in fine condition. The Crown zippers really set it off and make it very buisnesslike looking.

Weasel_Loader

greyhound52 said:
Danny,
Very nice. I too have a D model and it is my fav in the MA-1 range. Hey can you get some of those B-58 patches as repros and if so where?

George

Thanks George. The only patches that I have not seen as repros are the 43rd Bomb Wing and 305th Triangle M-2 patches. The repro 43rd Trophy patches are difficult to find sometimes and I just picked one up not long ago on ebay for about $10 or something. The 63rd Bomb Squadron patches were made for a reunion and come up on ebay quite often for cheap. The Triangle 305th M-2 patches are easy to get since these were produced in SUPER huge quantities. Kind of like some F-105 arrowhead patches were and since quantity outweighs demand, it keeps the price down.

The most difficult to find originals are the 43rd Trophy patches along with the squadron patches from the 43rd. The large 4" 305th Bomb Wing patches are fairly easy to come by, but the extra large 4 3/4" versions (older) are VERY difficult to find. I got real lucky with mine and thought I was bidding on a 4" until it came in the mail. ;)

Weasel_Loader

Atticus said:
Hi Danny,

Great snag! I think that you are going to really like that Alpha.

This is my '65 D-series Alpha that is probably my most-worn MA-1. Oddly enough, the only MA-1 in my collection that is larger than this jacket is a '72 E-series Alpha.

This old vet saw much hard wear before it came to me. As you can see, I replaced all of the knits. I also dry cleaned it three or four times and re-did the old repair on the front. The chest patch is original, as are the wings. The name strip is a wrong-width repro that I had left over from another project. I just stuck it on the jacket to sorta balance the wings.

By the way, I totally agree with you about the old C&C Crown zippers. They are as smooth as glass.

wisconsin165.jpg

AF

Nice Geoff. Love the 36th Tactical Fighter Wing patch. I was stationed 20 min down the road from the 36th at Bitburg when I was with the 52nd Fighter Wing at Spangdahlem. Always loved your MINT C model MA-1 also! ;)

Weasel_Loader

Peter Graham said:
Nice snag Danny, looks like it's in fine condition. The Crown zippers really set it off and make it very buisnesslike looking.

That's why I wanted a C&C for so long. I think the paperclip Conmars worked better than the later Conmars. There is nothing as smooth as those C&C Cowns though. ;)