• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last M-422/M-422A/AN-J-3A/G-1 etc (maybe) - Sheeley

Lord Flashheart

Reading back through the A-2 thread Tim started here I thought, in all conscience, a bit of full disclosure and a little widening of the threads was due. At the height of lockdown in 2020 I thought (as Ausreenactor put it) "live like there is no tomorrow gents" and put in an order with Dave Sheeley for a USN jacket that looked interesting, a bit different and top notch. I received a fine Switlik M-422 repro last year from Dave which has become "the flying jacket I'll be buried in". This was the Switlik repro in the pics below when I received it and I'm sure @B-Man2 will forgive me the modest smile.

In conversation here about navy flying and jackets with Dave @Maverickson he also talked a bit about the AN-J-3A's he does. Clearly the Wizard of Virginia Beach knows how to make the jacket magic fly. And for a while now I've been back in the queue. Right now a Monarch AN-J-3A floats my boat but his W&G AN-J-3A in horsehide is something you won't see every day ...

IMG_0191.jpeg

IMG_0169 2.jpeg

CK90

Lorenzo_l

Lord Flashheart

Awesome!

Like the MONARCH over the SWITLIK coz of the graining and the color combo
I guess I would say this wouldn't I but they're both interestingly different. The novelty of the small M-422 contract size led me to the Switlik and it's a really great all rounder with some quirky details but the leather will take much more wear without batting an eyelid. It's just starting to develop a bit of character. The Monarch though cries out to be worn from the off.

I think we're lucky to have such top flight makers offering these bespoke reproductions with the skills and eye for detail that takes. It is craftsmanship.