• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first visit to Duxford.

escorpion_72

Hello everybody.
Me and my buddy went to Duxford the 11th of April. It was my first time ever and I loved it. We went to London for the long weekend (We live in Stockholm, Sweden) and it was a great weekend.
Anyway....
Here are some pictures that I took while in Duxford. I took alot of pictures (did not want to miss anything) and many might look the same but I have had no time to go through them. In some you might see a goofy guy...yes that's me.
I hope you like them :)

Regards,

escorpion_72

http://picasaweb.google.se/Chile1972/Du ... sHb066hKA#

havocpaul

great selection of snaps, shows what a great museum Duxford is and how it has developed over the years. Some great jackets in their collection too. Even when there is no airshow a full day can be spent seeing all the displays there and always worth a second visit.

TankBuster

Love the jackets! I see most of their collection has wartime shots of the jackets in wear.
Thanks for sharing the photos. Someday I'll have to get there.

rich

havocpaul said:
great selection of snaps, shows what a great museum Duxford is and how it has developed over the years. Some great jackets in their collection too. Even when there is no airshow a full day can be spent seeing all the displays there and always worth a second visit.

and a third.......... and a fourth.......... :D :D

shiloh

Hi,

Nice pics. Great collection. Nice jacket you are wearing on the pics. What brand is it. GW, ELC, Aeroleather?. Great fit too.

Regards,

Shiloh.
escorpion_72 said:
Hello everybody.
Me and my buddy went to Duxford the 11th of April. It was my first time ever and I loved it. We went to London for the long weekend (We live in Stockholm, Sweden) and it was a great weekend.
Anyway....
Here are some pictures that I took while in Duxford. I took alot of pictures (did not want to miss anything) and many might look the same but I have had no time to go through them. In some you might see a goofy guy...yes that's me.
I hope you like them :)

Regards,

escorpion_72

http://picasaweb.google.se/Chile1972/Du ... sHb066hKA#

rich

Peter Graham said:
Very nice snaps. I didn't know they had a Sunderland there. I must pay a visit sometime.

I think it's been mentioned before, but you can go inside the Sunderland at Hendon. The museum's not quite in the same league as Duxford but still first rate IMO. And free to get in.

Peter Graham

rich said:
Peter Graham said:
Very nice snaps. I didn't know they had a Sunderland there. I must pay a visit sometime.

I think it's been mentioned before, but you can go inside the Sunderland at Hendon. The museum's not quite in the same league as Duxford but still first rate IMO. And free to get in.
I've been to Hendon quite a few times. I visited a lot when I lived in London. I took my dad over for his Christmas present a few years back. It's easy to do in a day from Ireland but Duxford is a bit more tricky.

Andrew

Thanks for posting these. I kick myself I didn't go there when I lived in London. It gives a great impression of what they have on display.

I went to Hendon in 2001 before the renovations so it probably looks very different now. Another great museum. When I went it was pretty quiet so I had a personal tour by an ex Aussie who was in Bomber Command and stayed when the War finished. There were quite a few Vets there that day, an RAF band playing under the wings of S-Sugar and I had a memorable chat with a former WAAF who said I reminded her of a RAAF pilot she knew who didn't return one night. She was quite emotional and it was ovbvious the memories were still strong.

So much fantastic hardware in one spot- you local guys are certainly spoilt for choice.

BTW, if anyone has been top the IWM lately (Rich?) i'd be interested to see what they have.

better duck

Nice set of shots, and a very nice appetiser for the 'Flying Legends' visit in July. Won't be as quiet then, but somehow that doesn't really matter: we airplane lovers are in general a rather well behaved and quiet bunch. Nice to see how in that large museum the same little things seem to catch everybodies eye: the beautifully painted Tigerhead on the F-111 'Aardvark' being one example.

rich

Leadsky said:
BTW, if anyone has been top the IWM lately (Rich?) i'd be interested to see what they have.

Sorry Andrew, I've not been there for years, I recall the aircraft (not many?) were suspended from the ceiling and not too
easy to see clearly. They had a nice nose-section of a Lanc there, I still remember my surprise at how thin the aluminium was, no protection whatsoever - I'm not sure what I was expecting! They also had a section of the 110 that Hess flew to Scotland in. But my stand-out memory was the brilliant recreation of a section of WW1 trench. It's quite possible you were there more recently than me - I reckon this was in about 1984?

Andrew

rich said:
Leadsky said:

Sorry Andrew, I've not been there for years, I recall the aircraft (not many?) were suspended from the ceiling and not too
easy to see clearly. They had a nice nose-section of a Lanc there, I still remember my surprise at how thin the aluminium was, no protection whatsoever - I'm not sure what I was expecting! They also had a section of the 110 that Hess flew to Scotland in. But my stand-out memory was the brilliant recreation of a section of WW1 trench. It's quite possible you were there more recently than me - I reckon this was in about 1984?
Thanks for filling that info in Rich, actually I didn't ever get there- it would have been '85-86 if I had gone but at the time it didn't rate. All my spare time was in the pub or at arty do's at the AA or parties chasing females that never seemed to come across. What a wasted opportunity (the Museums I mean) but I don't feel so bad now.

Shame about the wire suspension for the planes, it should be illegal.

Dr H

Andrew

I'm not sure whether you were referring to IWM London or Duxford. For London, there's a good link at http://london.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.2427 with a panoramic view of the current/recent layout.

Similarly, for Duxford, which has the more expansive collection and a strong website, there is another view of the 'Airspace' (sic) exhibition (http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.5711) along with individual aeroplanes, the Battle of Britain Exhibition (http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1224), the American Air Museum (http://aam.iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.122).

If you're feeling more grounded then the land warfare hall is there onsite too (http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1223).

Cheers

Ian

berserker3

Hi escorpion! Nice to see a fellow swede on this very cool forum! I live in Stockholm as well. Have a good one.
Kind regards
Mike