• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my first original G-1

CBI

the jacket looks great and I understand about the costs to have components replaced. One can buy originals with no need for any repairs for way less than the pricey repros. I guess the challenge is if one is looking for a specific, year/contract. I have owned a number of original G-1's various contracts and I have to say no one specific contract jumped out at me as being way better than others. Generally, as long as its Vietnam era or earlier but even some of the newer ones look pretty good.

Lorenzo_l

Phil, great jacket and worth the effort. looks really good and great fit.

Can you show a closer pic of the cuffs. How do you find them?
Im trying to source decent knit for a couple of my G-1s...
Last MASH knit I had was around 3 years ago. Felt a bit loose... And they flopped out pretty quick. Yours look nice.
John Chapman is sourcing his knitted cuffs and waistbands from a new vendor. The are in my new GW Doniger and are quite good. You could ask him for a pair or to get you in touch with his source?

Pilot

the jacket looks great and I understand about the costs to have components replaced. One can buy originals with no need for any repairs for way less than the pricey repros. I guess the challenge is if one is looking for a specific, year/contract. I have owned a number of original G-1's various contracts and I have to say no one specific contract jumped out at me as being way better than others. Generally, as long as its Vietnam era or earlier but even some of the newer ones look pretty good.
Partially agree… Phil did extremely good.
Point is finding a 44-46“ in wearable condition and with a mouton collar.. ( without need of repair ) not that easy for less than what Phil‘s budget was.
Please also consider horrible customs fees and outrageous shipping costs..
Phil did great!
Glückwunsch Philipp!

PS @ CBI, happy to buy all available 44“-46“ or larger for the same or less what Phil. paid ( all in all ) and especially because they will not need repair and have an original mouton collar.

Griffon_301

the "thank you" for finding and buying the jacket for me as proxy goes to Thomas in the first place. he found the jacket and proposed it to me.
I would not have minded the knits if there would have bin some holes or tears.
problem was that the waistband was starting to come apart as did one of the knits on a sleeve.
replacement time had come and this is where the fun started...

as my ELC G-1 probably has the worst knits of any of my jackets, I got me a replacent set of knits for that jacket as well from Mash.

so two sets of knits, p&p and then customs fees amounted to the first additional 120 Euros.

the costs for the seemstress (I seem to have found a really good one but also most probably one of the most expensive ones) added another 220 Euros.

so all given, the jacket cost me less than getting and having the knits replaced.

but I don't care...the end result is really great and as much as I love my ELC Repros, it's something else to own and be able to wear a original.

it seems this one even has its inspection tag still with it (picture of this tag below, pls Let me know if this is a inspection tag or something else)

all in all, I am really happy with this Vietnam era jacket and coincidentally, I found a great documentary on YT today about the Legends of Naval Carrier Aviation featuring amongst many great others, an interview with Curt Dose where he relates the story of his Mig kill in a wild dogfight over Kep airfield.

@Bret: pics of the Mash knits are also attached. they are really good and way better than the rather cr@ppy ones my ELC navy jackets have.

20231017_194436.jpg

20231017_192839.jpg
20231017_192810.jpg

Griffon_301

I heard the same "complaints" but the lady also said that she liked the leather and the overall quality of the work on the jacket, even more so for a jacket that's 52 years old.

Thomas, let me say a big "thank you very much" for your great proxy services on that jacket (and also for the A-2 Deck Jacket) - my first two originals and really great ones for that as well!