• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first A-2: Good Wear '39 Werber in seal

handworn

...yes, it's the seal example, period size 46 (modern 44, I guess) shown under '39 Werber in the GW What's New page. (I changed my order from the Dubow 20960.) Thanks, Miles_Archer, for posting that seal example and making a seal example not a fantasy piece. And damned if John wasn't right-- it looks seal in interior lighting and a beautiful dark russet outside. Never heard of a jacket that was both at the same time. ;)

All I could think, by the way, when I first took it out of the box was, "Damn, the man's an artist." And I collect antiques, and have the experience to be a pretty good judge of quality workmanship, if you'll pardon that moment of immodesty. To anyone who hasn't seen a Good Wear-- yes, it really is that good. The guy's work would convince the most hardboiled of skeptics, even before they encounter his amazing depth of knowledge and customer service.

front_view1.jpg

reverse_view1.jpg

greyhound52

Fantastic jacket. I assume this is the new Japanese HH as it looks like? You must be really happy. John is the artist I tell ya.

kkochheiser

Congratulations! I love the '39 Werber and that HH looks great. Time to order another jacket from John...

Please post some outside photos to show that color change.

Kent

handworn

Yep, that's the new Japanese-tanned horsehide. (As I understand it, the horse skins themselves aren't from Japan-- they get imported from all over and just tanned there.) I just wish it would hurry up and stop smelling like a new car. :p (Any ideas on how to kill that smell gently, without damaging the jacket?)

Many thanks for the compliments, everyone. How does the fit look to you?

Here are some outdoor shots showing the sunlit color:

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036-1.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

greyhound52 said:
Fantastic jacket. I assume this is the new Japanese HH as it looks like? You must be really happy. John is the artist I tell ya.

asiamiles

Many people buy A-2's and post photos of them wearing them, and while they may fit I often find they don't look quite right; for example, they may look - at least to my eyes - too short with the modern jeans they're wearing. Maybe it's your body shape, or maybe John tweaked it a tad, but the fit of jacket is perfect; it looks as if it were made for you, and you look very comfortable in it...I don't think anyone could do any better than that.

jack aranda

You and that jacket look like you've been friends for years, worn to fit one another like hand-in-glove. The hide is amazing! Thanks for the pics, handworn.

handworn

Thanks, everyone! All credit to the jacket's maker. (Who did not tweak the design for me, for whatever interest that might have to anyone also interested in the same pattern.)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
handworn said:
(Who did not tweak the design for me, for whatever interest that might have to anyone also interested in the same pattern.)

Great horsehide, handworn ... may we know what the tweaking involved?

Vcruiser

deeb7 said:
handworn said:
(Who did not tweak the design for me, for whatever interest that might have to anyone also interested in the same pattern.)

Great horsehide, handworn ... may we know what the tweaking involved?

"Who did not tweak".....
...for tweeksakes...!!

kkochheiser

asiamiles said:
Many people buy A-2's and post photos of them wearing them, and while they may fit I often find they don't look quite right; for example, they may look - at least to my eyes - too short with the modern jeans they're wearing. Maybe it's your body shape, or maybe John tweaked it a tad, but the fit of jacket is perfect; it looks as if it were made for you, and you look very comfortable in it...I don't think anyone could do any better than that.

Couldn't have said it better myself! The color change in sunlight is wonderful too. Thanks for the photos.

Kent