• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My CWU-36/Ps stain badly in the rain - any ideas?

269sqnhudson

I took one of my Valley Apparel CWU-36/Ps out in the rain the other day and after it dried naturally it was badly watermarked and mottled. Watermarks are i gather quite common on some other fabrics like silk so is it just a character of Nomex? It is a brand new unworn jacket and I wondered if it is something that happens when the fabric's new and if I had it dry cleaned whether it may stop doing it.

Any ideas?

Silver Surfer

i have a coupla older cwu-36ps [bi swing back, circa late 70s-early80s], and when caught in the rain they spot,, but when they dry the spotting evaporates, with no tell tale spotting. btw: i have machine washed mine on gentle cool, and no harm has come to the jackets. the only possible issue to machine washing is, depending on the their condition, the knits might pill up a little. however, no pilling on my mint old original cwu, when washed.

colekwok

I also have this problem with my 36/P, maybe it's the problem of the rain here in London?
I took the jacket for a dry clean a while ago and got rid of some of the spots, but there
are still a few very paint ones at the back.

watchmanjimg

I've also seen this happen and I'm not sure what the answer is, although it does seem to be less of a factor after the jacket has been washed. As far as the method of cleaning is concerned I wouldn't hesitate to machine-wash a CWU in cold water, followed by air drying.

bn1966

Have had the same watermark issues even with new CWUs, nomex appears to mark easier than the nylon on MA1s.

a2jacketpatches

Sounds like some kind of residue being reconstituted and drying in the form of the rain drop. Could be from a dry cleaning solvent. That jacket material disperses moister so quickly, even if it got totally wet I can see the last rain drops hitting it creating spots. Just a theory, and if washing does solve the problem, that makes perfect sense by flushing out whatever residue is causing the spotting

Silver Surfer

chuck it in the washer at gentle-cold or warm, with a tiny dab of regular clothing wash detergent, and watch those stains disappear. air dry.

derleicaman

Silver Surfer said:
chuck it in the washer at gentle-cold or warm, with a tiny dab of regular clothing wash detergent, and watch those stains disappear. air dry.

I've done this with mine and it works a charm.

269sqnhudson

derleicaman said:
Silver Surfer said:

I've done this with mine and it works a charm.

Well I had them dry cleaned and they are 'okay' but not great. Still some residual marks. Next time I will machine wash cold however has anyone had problems with this method?

T

269sqnhudson

FlyingYankee said:
It has something to do with the fire retardant chemicals in the material

I don't think there are any. Aramid is inherently fire retardent rather than treated. It states as such on the flight gloves anyhow.