• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My BK A2 Monarch !

ME109G10

Hi all,

This is my first topic in order to present my Bill Kelso A2 Monarch. This is a special request with cowhide and adjusted size. Hide color is like dark russet, the liner is medium brown like knits and threads. The leather is smooth with dark and light reflections. I haven't had the opportunity to hear it often so it stays stiff and new. I have to say that Andy (Bill Kelso) is really helpful and patient ! Thank you again...

bseal

I'm sure you will get a chance to hear it more often when it's stiff.

Looks great.

Rutger

Beautiful colouring; rich, warm & vivid. I thought cow was more supple than horse but obviously there will be countless types of cow (steer?).

ME109G10

Rutger said:
Beautiful colouring; rich, warm & vivid. I thought cow was more supple than horse but obviously there will be countless types of cow (steer?).

I don't know exactly what kind of cowhide is ! Could you tell us Platoon ? Do you remenber me at least ?

mindful

perfect fit looks really nice, one gripe i thought the collar is a lot more rounded on the tips

ME109G10

mindful said:
perfect fit looks really nice, one gripe i thought the collar is a lot more rounded on the tips

Relative to an original Monarch, the collar tip shape is relatively identical. Below a pic from Acme depot :

mindful

Yes that collar is pretty spot on maybe I'm mistaken I've seen a few monarchs where they have a more rounded collar tip

Skip

Lookin pretty good.

I think the cow is thicker than horse, not had the opportunity to experience BK's Badalassi, but from some of the reviews it settles in and relaxes not long after a little wear. Is it heavyish? Has some nice patina to it already, should look sensational after 1000 hours of hard yackka.

ME109G10

Skip said:
Lookin pretty good.

I think the cow is thicker than horse, not had the opportunity to experience BK's Badalassi, but from some of the reviews it settles in and relaxes not long after a little wear. Is it heavyish? Has some nice patina to it already, should look sensational after 1000 hours of hard yackka.

I can affirm you that it is very stiff. I hope it will relaxe quickly like you said. According to my scales, it weighs about 1.5 kgs. Knowing that it is a size 36-38. The leather is not a Badalassi. I just know that it is cowhide, I don't know anymore...I sent a sample to Andy to have the same texture and color on my jacket, what he found ! Concerning thickness, I don't find it more or less thick than my previous G&B horsehide, just stiffer ! Hope it will be sensational with several hours of wear !!!

To maintain it, do you use only basic leather cream ?

Thank you

A

Anonymous

hi guys
this leather is from a small batch of Italian cowhide that BK used to have a while ago. It was also available in seal.
Yes a little bit stiff but I 'd say in par with ELC hides.

It is not correct to say that cowhide is stiffer/thicker/heavier than horse, or the opposite as all the characteristics depend on the tanning method used. Some hides are custom made to the customer's spec, some others are just made by the tannery and sold as is.

BK's Badalassi is NOT heavier or stiffer than e.g. Horween FQHH.

Skip

PLATON said:
hi guys
this leather is from a small batch of Italian cowhide that BK used to have a while ago. It was also available in seal.
Yes a little bit stiff but I 'd say in par with ELC hides.

It is not correct to say that cowhide is stiffer/thicker/heavier than horse, or the opposite as all the characteristics depend on the tanning method used. Some hides are custom made to the customer's spec, some others are just made by the tannery and sold as is.

BK's Badalassi is NOT heavier or stiffer than e.g. Horween FQHH.

Thanks Platon, but what is the difference in the wearing and feel of me109's leather, Badalassi, and VHH? I'm under the impression from certain reviews of recent jackets that the Badalassi 'felt' thicker/heavier than the VHH.

dmar836

I'd shy away from such comparisons. The two ELC's I've owned have been like cardboard. The Star "looks" the part but never softened up despite all attempts. No doing of mine but the 3oz cow I used was softer the first time on. The ELC will never be worn again. I sure hope better for the BK.
Just saying,
Dave

ME109G10

sloan1874 said:
Nice hide, but a bit short on the cuffs for my taste, but ymmv.

To have the cuffs knits out like this, it's exactly, what I expected. I think it's more harmonious, especially with belt knits... On my previous A2, (G&B), knits were totaly in the cuffs, and it bothers me ! Indeed, it's a pity to have nices knits non-visibles. In general, all parts of my jacket are well adjusted, close to body. That the way I love to wear A2 jacket. Anyway, each person has their own tastes and colors.

A

Anonymous

The Badalassi is a very high quality leather coming out from the very few left veg tanners in Italy.
It's really very very hard to find cowhide better than Badalassi's. Badalassi is a master tanner.

Thanks Platon, but what is the difference in the wearing and feel of me109's leather, Badalassi, and VHH? I'm under the impression from certain reviews of recent jackets that the Badalassi 'felt' thicker/heavier than the VHH.

BK's Badalassi is not thicker/heavier than VHH and the hows and the whys is BK's trade secret.