• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Alpha MA-1 arrived...... made in China!?

Flightpath

Hi,

my Alpha MA-1 arrived from the US yesterday, my wife wanted to see the cleaning label and I found in in the front pocket, I read the instructions and nearly fell over when I saw 'MADE IN CHINA' on the label :eek:

How long has Alpha had jackets made in China?

I could have bought a chinese MA-1 here in Norway but wanted an Alpha (thinking they were made in the US) because I thought they would be of better quality, are Chinese Alphas better quality than the average new MA-1 type jackets? (Now I know why it was cheaper than I expected).

I'm guessing that the Alpha jackets purchased by the US forces are not made in China?

cheers,

-John
P.S. so far it's an O/K jacket :|

rich

It shouldn't be a disappointment, but for some reason it is. I bought an Alpha CWU45 last year, but now will always save to
buy BR's if I can. The Alpha seems to lack substance compared to the Buzz jackets and the label even has a typo on it, which makes it feel as if nobody really gives a ****. ( Apparently I need to make sure it's only jaundered) A shame
because I have the Alpha M-65 and this seems extremely well made and I like that jacket very much. Righto, whinging over.........

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rich said:
Apparently I need to make sure it's only jaundered ...

~~ That sure jaunered me. (Sometimes "jaundered," probably comes from jaundiced, but means to flummox or take aback.)
usadeepsouth.

rich

Thanks David! Now I know what I have to do...........

Can anyone comment on the quality of the US made Alpha L2?

usafwso

Most new Alpha jackets are not worth the time to throw them out in the trash... My opinion states that mid 1980's was pretty much the end of Alpha jackets in the quality department. After that, they started to orient themselves to the "surplus store/fashion" trade.

asiamiles

rich said:
The Alpha seems to lack substance compared to the Buzz jackets and the label even has a typo on it, which makes it feel as if nobody really gives a ****.

Don't forget though, that one run of Buzz Tankers had labels with "depot" misspelled as "deport", and I've seen a couple of Japanese jackets (from BR and RM) with spelling errors in the art on their backs.

Atticus

usafwso said:
Most new Alpha jackets are not worth the time to throw them out in the trash... My opinion states that mid 1980's was pretty much the end of Alpha jackets in the quality department. After that, they started to orient themselves to the "surplus store/fashion" trade.

Their replica jackets (whenever they were produced) were very good. Sadly, not much worth a damn from Alpha since then. Such a shame. If they would, Alpha could produce a jacket that would easily rival Buzz...and they could do it for a quarter the price.

AF

havocpaul

I had an Alpha catalogue from around 1999 and they still listed the 'official' Nomex Cwu jackets, if they still supply these surely they aren't made in China too? The MA-1's have been pretty much a fashion item only in the past decade as Alpha added extra tags and logos so they are now far removed from the great US-made jackets of old.

Who

I have an Alpha from 1998 and it is reasonably good although the fit is a bit wonky. The new ones I've seen feel terrible (made in Vietnam, I think it said on the ones I saw), The nylon is stiff and lifeless. It's sad - such a great American product left behind... Do they still use Dupont flight satin?

endwahl

MA-1 has not been current issue since the 70's, the current issue is the CWU series (the 36 light zone is already phasing out, the 45 is also due to retire in favor of the new modular flight clothing made from technical fabrics). So any MA-1 made today is a replica, no matter who makes it. Plus the Alpha replica pattern is really a hybrid of the MA-1 and L2B.

Alpha did market an "authentic" MA-1 which duplicates the classic Korean War era jacket, flapless pockets, wool lining, headset wire loops, mask flap, etc. But I think it's discontinued, and the only colors available from most sellers are unauthentic (Blue and Gunmetal). I suspect all the sage green ones are in Japan, on the backs of kids who could not afford a Buzz jacket.

dav3469

Sorry to post in older thread, but thought it was better than making new one.....

In regards to the Alpha jackets, I have heard the terms "authentic series" as well as "vintage" series. Are they the same, or two different styles?

I recently purchased an MA-1 from the vintage series. It is in the vintage "blue" color. The color is not accurate for real issue I dont believe, but I liked it. The vendor also offered one in vintage "green".

The jacket I got is one of the U.S. made versions, and is so marked. When would they have been produced?

The quality is good, and it came with all the original tags in place.. the oddity is that there was no USAF decal on the left sleeve.

Got it off of ebay, and he has several more left.. I picked it up as I thought that getting and earlier U.S. made jacket would be a good deal......

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dav3469 said:
In regards to the Alpha jackets, I have heard the terms "authentic series" as well as "vintage" series. Are they the same, or two different styles?

With Alpha, the Replica Series is the good one .... Vintage Series are vintage styled, but not accurate copies like the Replica.

The forum favoured vendor is CLOSEOUTPETE on eBay, here's a link to the last remaining B-15D (MOD)'s, size Small ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpha-B15-Replica-G ... 8366352733

Although his description states polyester batting, they actually have the correct wool/cotton interlining. Searching his other store listings will find USA made Vintage Series at $44.95 .... if he still remembers, there's a $5.00 discount to forum members.

The jacket I got is one of the U.S. made versions, and is so marked. When would they have been produced?

My guess .... circa 1995.

dav3469

Thanks for the information... I will have to keep a look out for the Replica series in larger sizes.......