• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Must be feeling the pinch

tgd31968

I don't know if you have checked out Aero Leather USA lately. They sell through an E-bay store.
Prices have dropped dramatically. A b-3 is now $625, $200 cheaper than a month or so ago. The D-1 is $575 and the B-6 is $599.
I have been watching because I am waiting patiently for my B-3 remake. I ordered in June, and at that time, because I had it made from the B-6 skin, they charged me the b-6 price of $759.
Since I asked for a remake , and am still waiting, I guess I might as well have waited 5 months and saved $150. Too bad my crystal ball is cracked.

Terry

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
tgd31968 said:
Must be feeling the pinch

I don't know if you have checked out Aero Leather USA lately. They sell through an E-bay store.
Prices have dropped dramatically.

Or just a happy result of the current exchange rate.

Hawkeye

Up in Canada, our exchange rate with the US dollar doesnt help at all, even with Aero USs severely reduced prices, I could still buy an eastman Irvin or B-3, shipped, for the same price as an Aero US equivelant jacket.

John Lever

Looks like the pound is in free fall. I wonder how long we can last out before we get swallowed by the Eurozone ?
Off the Salzburg Austria , to the Xmas fairs in 3 weeks, prices will be up 25 % on summer.

jacketimp

John Lever said:
Looks like the pound is in free fall. I wonder how long we can last out before we get swallowed by the Eurozone ?
Off the Salzburg Austria , to the Xmas fairs in 3 weeks, prices will be up 25 % on summer.

gonna get worse, the forex on £........... :(

TankBuster

Ordering Eastman direct is becoming a great deal. I just
picked up a B-6 shipped for $750. Now I'm wondering
if I should be buying something else.
Here's some of the bargains US buyers can get right now.
The new Time Worn B-3 is $644
The new Time Worn ANJ-4 is $741
A new 50 Cal would run you $622
The Roughwear B-10 is down to $481
Ordering direct from Eastman can be done. I have recently
done it, and I also know others who have.
Now the only question is how much more will the GBP fall?

greyhound52

Jeff,
They don't get upset because you are not going through HPA?? What about shipping to the US how much is that on a B-6 or that type of jacket??

John Lever

TankBuster said:
Ordering Eastman direct is becoming a great deal. I just
picked up a B-6 shipped for $750. Now I'm wondering
if I should be buying something else.
Here's some of the bargains US buyers can get right now.
The new Time Worn B-3 is $644
The new Time Worn ANJ-4 is $741
A new 50 Cal would run you $622
The Roughwear B-10 is down to $481
Ordering direct from Eastman can be done. I have recently
done it, and I also know others who have.
Now the only question is how much more will the GBP fall?
Jeff, that was argument regarding my Anj-4. The pound is great value at the moment, where as if we buy American goods, they are very expensive.
The only cloud I can see is if our UK companies are importing materials, for example American sheepskin and horsehide. prices will then go back up, especially for us Brits. The boom may only be a short one until materials run out.

CBI

It must be the exchange rate. I know Mark has always checked it when I order. If you use the currency converter an Aero Real Deal A-2 that cost $650 US this past summer is now $440. ELC direct is a great deal right now as well. I collect aviation art and have taken advantage of the exchange rate. Still, I am a GW fan and will stick with the quality/authenticity. In the long run, its the way to go for me.

TankBuster

greyhound52 said:
Jeff,
They don't get upset because you are not going through HPA?? What about shipping to the US how much is that on a B-6 or that type of jacket??

George,
ELC opened up to US orders over the last 3 to four months. I ordered the B-6 no problem.
The shipping wasn't that bad. I don't remember the exact amount. If I remember right it was
about 35 GBP or roughly 48 USD. I saved HUNDREDS over buying from HPA!!
I couldn't be happier with the B-6 by the way. It's very grainy and a great fitting jacket.

John,
I agree. That's why I think purchasing now is the best bet to a great deal! I am really
thinking about another jacket from them!

Cliff

Conversely, John at GW may find his british customers fall off for a while until the £/$ rate stabilises to a more favourable rate.

rgds

Cliff

John Lever

Cliff said:
Conversely, John at GW may find his British customers fall off for a while until the £/$ rate stabilises to a more favourable rate.

rgds

Cliff
Cliff, I was in Comet yesterday [ an electronics/TV shop]it was packed even on a Sunday. There was no evidence of a slow down there at least.
With horse hide from the US, prices can only increase soon. Now is the time to buy if you are in the UK.

Cliff

I was in Comet yesterday [ an electronics/TV shop]it was packed even on a Sunday. There was no evidence of a slow down there at least.

Ah that would be the seasonal "we must get a new TV in time for Christmas" rush !! :lol:

However surely with the exchange rate as it is, JC's prices must have gone up in Sterling so the cost of a Goodwear to us British must now not be as as attractive as say an ELC jacket.

This time last year my GW A2 cost me the equivalent of about £300 or so, now it would be much more. Thats not to say I would rather still buy another GW A2 rather than yet another ELC, and would therefore spend the extra money as I am fortunately very wealthy.....no not really just hopeless with money !!! :roll:

Roughwear

My buying from the USA has come to a standstill now, but I must say I did well when the pound was worth two dollars, picking up some excellent original A2s and B3s at fair prices.

Swing

Wow, I didn't realize the pound had dropped so much. Buying direct from ELC, looks like most A-2s will be $650 or less. They haven't cost that little in three or four years.

~Swing

TMB

Spoke to a buyer at Harrods in London yesterday who we deal with regarding product from my company. Apparently their sales are down 43% on this time last year and its been a long time since they have known anything so bad. And unfortunately its going to get worse too, not helped by the doom and gloom stories on the media.

Burnsie

CBI said:
It must be the exchange rate. I know Mark has always checked it when I order. If you use the currency converter an Aero Real Deal A-2 that cost $650 US this past summer is now $440. ELC direct is a great deal right now as well. I collect aviation art and have taken advantage of the exchange rate. Still, I am a GW fan and will stick with the quality/authenticity. In the long run, its the way to go for me.
Yup, Mark Moye will check the exchange and then cover the shipping...a Real Deal is almost an incredible bargain A-2 now...s**t, I paid more for one in '06...and I could have saved about $150 on my 1756 if I had waited six months...but my crystal ball is broken too...