• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mr. Jiggs, all brush work

a2jacketpatches

Jim just sent me these photos, the dimension and detail in this patch is outstanding. For those who don't understand why paintbrush is so important to the individual capable of using it, it is clearly illustrated here. It looks like no less than 10 different gray shades giving Mr. Jiggs depth and a 3D appearance.

If the extended palette was available in paint pens, this type of work could be achieved that way as well because of the crisp sharp. lines, no real blending, etc. Unfortunately, the pens are only available in a very limited range of colors restricting the end result. Airbrush is simply irrelevant in this case, it could be done with 10 times the amount of work involving stencil cutting, mixing color, and countless other issues, like starting a forest fire to cook a hot dog.

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

EMBLEMHUNTER

One of the best "Jiggs" I've seen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There were some variations of this emblem over the years and I've seen a few in photos , but this is is Awesome in the shading etc !!!!!
johnny
As mentioned just too beautiful to wear it should be behind glass in a museum!!!!!!!!!!!

a2jacketpatches

A work of art for sure, he's more of a fine artist that patch painter, but Jim assures me this is well suited for a jacket and will last.

jbmilart

Thanks Fellas... for the encouragement... I just try to do my homework the best I can... As Johnny mentioned, I too have seen many examples of Mr. Jiggs squadron patches. Most try to capture the original artwork of the cartoonist George "Geo" McManus who created the strip "Bringing Up Father" back in 1913. His style was a complete change in cartooning... leaning towards a strong sense of composition and clean cut cartooning lines... More of a "Art Deco" style.This is what I was trying to accomplish.
I have a photo from an actual 11th Bomb Squadron patch on a 1920's pilot's jacket... which shows Mr. Jiggs artwork, in almost the same exact way I have rendered it here. In fact, I used that image as the template... I've just added a little bit more to the shadows, which the original patch already had. There's not much difference between the original artwork and this one... and I think this would look great on any A-2 jacket...

Jim

zoomer

a2jacketpatches said:
Airbrush is simply irrelevant in this case, it could be done with 10 times the amount of work involving stencil cutting, mixing color, and countless other issues, like starting a forest fire to cook a hot dog.
But that would look Truly Professional! It would actually be BETTER than anyone in the 40s could have done. It would add to any artist's resumé and attract commissions from street rod, truck, and airplane owners who appreciate precision and craftsmanship.

Whereas this is..."just" authentic. It impresses only those like us, in the know.

And that is the real genius, because it goes against so many unspoken values about craft vs art. You're not gonna get any calls from American Chopper or Monster Garage. Nobody's teeth are going to make audible sucking sounds when they behold your detail work. But it's gonna be the real deal.

a2jacketpatches

zoomer said:
a2jacketpatches said:
Airbrush is simply irrelevant in this case, it could be done with 10 times the amount of work involving stencil cutting, mixing color, and countless other issues, like starting a forest fire to cook a hot dog.
But that would look Truly Professional! It would actually be BETTER than anyone in the 40s could have done. It would add to any artist's resumé and attract commissions from street rod, truck, and airplane owners who appreciate precision and craftsmanship.

Whereas this is..."just" authentic. It impresses only those like us, in the know.

And that is the real genius, because it goes against so many unspoken values about craft vs art. You're not gonna get any calls from American Chopper or Monster Garage. Nobody's teeth are going to make audible sucking sounds when they behold your detail work. But it's gonna be the real deal.

I'm just promoting my good friend and partner Jim, and his ability to add depth and dimension to his patches using strictly paintbrush.

What I was saying is that this type of work ( Jiggs ) could be done with an airbrush but wouldn't be very practical. I'm well aware of the market for each because I've actually painted motorcycles, large murals on buildings, and for the past ten years, very simple to very elaborate painted patches and jacket art. I began my art career building and painting scale models for the Cockpit Shop in NYC during the 80's ( Avirex ) and sculpting for a company called Soldat in the early 90's. To this day, I use all techniques learned over the years in one way or another every day.

So I agree completely with you, the thing is that airbrush is brought up on a regular basis here when totally irrelevant and usually in a negative way. As if it's some kind of magic wand. Criticized because it was not used to paint jackets, and spoken of as if the work is overdone. For the most part, by someone who has no clue as to the mechanics involved and skill necessary to make an airbrush work effectively. I even remember a guy saying "airbrushes didn't exist in the 40's" and "oil paint formulas are completely different now than in the 40's"

Bottom line is that airbrush work is very much sought after by the paying customer but constantly knocked by the non paying critic ( concerning A2 jacket art and patches ) So the only preference that really matters to me is that of the customer. Everyone is entitled to their own preference and opinion, but they can always count on my opinion of their opinion when it comes to an art technique they have limited to zero knowledge about.

Whatever you need, I can do it for you. Airbrush, brush painted, I'll paint it with a stick if that's what you want.

The following photo of Dali is done completely in airbrush, and "Sack Time" is about 90% paintbrush and 10% airbrush. Airbrush was used on the body flesh tone shading only, the face, hair, fingers, clothing, and any real detail with a paintbrush. But to the untrained eye of the critic, it's airbrush and not authentically done.
oldphotos043.jpg

000_0221_zps0723494a.jpg

zoomer

a2jacketpatches said:
I agree completely with you, the thing is that airbrush is brought up on a regular basis here when totally irrelevant and usually in a negative way. As if it's some kind of magic wand. Criticized because it was not used to paint jackets, and spoken of as if the work is overdone. For the most part, by someone who has no clue as to the mechanics involved and skill necessary to make an airbrush work effectively. I even remember a guy saying "airbrushes didn't exist in the 40's" and "oil paint formulas are completely different now than in the 40's"

Bottom line is that airbrush work is very much sought after by the paying customer but constantly knocked by the non paying critic ( concerning A2 jacket art and patches ) So the only preference that really matters to me is that of the customer.
Good point - "better than new" is a legitimate esthetic to many people, most of whom wouldn't ever use the word "esthetic." I might not like a '32 Ford done up like a '70s garage monkey's dream, either, but you have to admire the craft and dedication to it.

a2jacketpatches

zoomer said:
a2jacketpatches said:
I agree completely with you, the thing is that airbrush is brought up on a regular basis here when totally irrelevant and usually in a negative way. As if it's some kind of magic wand. Criticized because it was not used to paint jackets, and spoken of as if the work is overdone. For the most part, by someone who has no clue as to the mechanics involved and skill necessary to make an airbrush work effectively. I even remember a guy saying "airbrushes didn't exist in the 40's" and "oil paint formulas are completely different now than in the 40's"

Bottom line is that airbrush work is very much sought after by the paying customer but constantly knocked by the non paying critic ( concerning A2 jacket art and patches ) So the only preference that really matters to me is that of the customer.
Good point - "better than new" is a legitimate esthetic to many people, most of whom wouldn't ever use the word "esthetic." I might not like a '32 Ford done up like a '70s garage monkey's dream, either, but you have to admire the craft and dedication to it.

Someone out there does get it, thanks zoomer.

A

Anonymous

shedonwanna said:
here is a tooled version I like...

11thbs_tooled_leather.jpg
Great vintage art, looks like maybe pen was used instead of brush on the trace lines.

a2jacketpatches

chitchat said:
shedonwanna said:
here is a tooled version I like...

11thbs_tooled_leather.jpg
Great vintage art, looks like maybe pen was used instead of brush on the trace lines.

Exactly, I'd bet that whoever did this took a newspaper picture or something and traced over the lines leaving an impression on the leather. Then retraced the lines with a ballpoint pen and blocked in the other colors. Very simple but effective. I did the same thing but on paper with Star Wars characters when the movie came out, 1977? I'm thinking it's more trace impressions than tooling.

shedonwanna

The standard method of transferring a design to leather for tooling is to trace over the design with a stylus. The tooling on this patch is not extensive; that is, there is no carving, beveling or stamping but the trace lines are deep enough to be considered debossed or tooled. The technique on this patch is similar to the incised and colored designs used with some clay pottery (and leather) for thousands of years. The designs can be sourced or original. My habit is to do my rough sketches on paper then transfer the design to leather - leather is not very forgiving to changes. Tracing with a stylus is one way to transfer and the amount of tracing and freehand varies with the size and details of the design. As an artist I use all tools within reach - brushes, pens, sponges, knives, fingers...and when it comes to art "viva la difference".

a2jacketpatches

Hmmmm....OK, very aware and familiar with everything you say. Call it tooling, stylus, whatever, just saying the last thing on this guys mind 60+ years ago was the lingo when he busted out his ballpoint pen and made this patch. I guess, technically, I was tooling Star Wars characters with a stylus-pencil when I was 10 and didn't even realize it. Again, all I'm saying is he probably traced with a pen from a picture (tooled with a stylus from reference) and retraced the impression with a pen (applied color with a coloring instrument)

I have no less than 30+ tooling tools, different size spoons, stylus, most of them ground from steel stock with my Dremel and files, so please forgive if I neglected to label the method on this patch correctly.

I also use several methods developed on my own to transfer designs that have not been used for thousands of years, they eliminate some common problems with the old standard. But that's top secret, I could tell you but I'd have to......... :lol: