• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mouton collar for a G-1

rob20uk

Hi All,

Just a quick question to see if any of you know where the best place to source a mouton collar for a G-1 would be?

I have a G-1 with the acrylic collar at the moment and I am thinking of wapping it out for a real fur one. If any of you have any good pointers I would massively appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

B-Man2

Not long ago I purchased a mouton coat on EBay and used it to replace a few of my collars on my jackets . It’s the most inexpensive way to go . If I remember correctly the coat cost about $40.00
F48DAD89-7D9C-4FFE-BC0E-ECEA7902E208.jpeg

Shropshire-lad

I saw a photo once of a pilot on a US carrier that had replaced his mouton with mink - looked really good. It was in the book “Hell bent for leather” by Nelson and Parsons. (And I THINK page 111..... don’t have the book any more so looked and saw photo on ebay!!)

Last edited:

MaydayWei

I honestly don't think its worth the effort.
You have to find the right mouton, then the right leather-worker, blah blah and so forth.
End of day it'll cost you more time and money for something you may well have to throw away the jacket for.
There's far less risk in just purchasing an actual mouton collared G-1 and keeping this one in an unaltered state.

rob20uk

You have to find the right mouton, then the right leather-worker, blah blah and so forth.
End of day it'll cost you more time and money for something you may well have to throw away the jacket for.
There's far less risk in just purchasing an actual mouton collared G-1 and keeping this one in an unaltered state.
Hmmm, I think you might have a point. Honestly the current collar is not that bad and I do have two other G-1s that have real fur collars.

Tylbor

I had the same thoughts after considering buying a nice but distressed G1 and replacing its badly damaged waistband. Purchasing a new one, finding a good craftsman to do the job turned out to be more expensive and time consuming.

sammymocha

Hi All,

Just a quick question to see if any of you know where the best place to source a mouton collar for a G-1 would be?

I have a G-1 with the acrylic collar at the moment and I am thinking of wapping it out for a real fur one. If any of you have any good pointers I would massively appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

sammymocha

I have a really fine mouton collar I don't need and can sell. It was with my father-in-law's things after he passed away. It doesn't look like it was ever used. It is on brown leather and has button holes for attachment. I can measure and take pics if you like.

Thanks,

Anne

rob20uk

Thanks for your suggestion Anne. I actually have another G-1 from the same maker that has a mouton collar that was too big for me. I sent both off to Donna to swap them over and do a few other jobs on the jacket. That was several months ago now so I think I might need to give her a prod.

bseal

Not long ago I purchased a mouton coat on EBay and used it to replace a few of my collars on my jackets . It’s the most inexpensive way to go . If I remember correctly the coat cost about $40.00
View attachment 55343

Odd coincidence then that the locals have reported a man matching your description and wearing that very piece while hobnobbing at all the black-tie galas?

Last edited:

B-Man2

Odd coincidence then that the locals have reported a man matching your description and wearing that very piece while hobnobbing at all the black-tie galas?
LOL!!
Well ….. if he wasn’t in a Walker … it wasn’t me ! ……. Just had my knee replaced and I’ve got a little hitch in my getta- long :)