• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Authentic Irvin Jacket as of 2024?

Jennison

Thanks to B-Man2 and Flyincowboy's candid advice, I'm abandoning an Irvin Frankenjacket project. It was a really dumb idea... I'm not surprised that idea was mine. Please forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but there seems to be rapid improvement with WWII repros. As such, and cost aside, what is the most authentic Irvin jacket offered right now (2024)? I've read what I could find here and I'm just confused. If you wish to be blunt and just post a link that I might have missed, no offense taken!

Thanks, Jennison

Last edited:

bseal

Probably Eastman's. I've also heard rumors that John Chapman has looked into making an Irvin repro. I'm sure he'd do a bang-up job.

And I wouldn't berate yourself about the "Frankenjacket." I'm pretty sure everyone here has gotten in too deep in a fixer-upper project.

Anything is possible, but I am of the opinion that John won't be offering RAF Irvins. Headwind on the other hand, has lots n' lots in the pipeline, who knows?

B-Man2

If money isn’t your primary concern then Eastman does a nice job but be prepared to spend a lot . Next step down would be an Aero Light weight as that particular model looks really Authentic and will cost you in the area of $900 + or - dollars
If you don’t mind some small deviations from authenticity the 5 Star will meet all of your expectations for a lot less money and no one but you will know the difference.
You should check them all out before you make your choice.

Jennison

That's the confusion, both Aero and Eastman aren't quite right, and for the price paid, you'd certainly think that would be reasonable to expect, no? Or are they?? Of the two FiveStar Irvins offered (without side pockets), which is more correct? The darker one with russet reinforcements (sold out at the moment), or the all russet one?

B-Man2

Earlier ones are Russett later years are darker.
Here’s an original 1939 jacket for comparison
IMG_2456.jpeg

Micawber

'Irvin' jacket is a loose term that 'covers a type of jacket that was produced not only by the Irvin Parachute Company, Letchworth, Hertfordshire but also a number of other companies all producing a similar pattern but when examined have detail differences.

TBH unless companies or, individuals ,start making up accurate copies based on variations in pattern to reflect these nuanced differences between manufacturers - and not just pre war, early war, mid and late war versions - you are not going to get anything but a generic type reproduction.

Jennison

Another question: In measuring for an Irvin Jacket (or any jacket), I don't see any instructions for the proper length of the jacket. Is that somehow interpolated from sleeve length?

Micawber

Lots on this forum already, have you seen this?

Or this?

Plonk a few keywords into the search facility..

Smithy

Eastman without a doubt.

The latest Aeros are lovely but Eastman are that bit better in terms of fleece and patterning in my subjective opinion.

Yes they're expensive but if you've really been hankering after a fantastic Irvin repro you won't regret the price.

I love mine - had it since I bought it new from ELC in 2007. If I lost it or it caught fire I wouldn't hesitate to splurge the funds on another one.

If you're a real Irvin fanatic don't arse around, get an Eastman, you'll love it.

Jennison

That’s a good point. I’m in New England in the US. Do you think that the warmer weather will have an effect when it comes to the heavy Eastman or Aero jackets? It’s probably just my luck, but, at least in looking for A-2s, any decent deal on either one of those gets snapped up no matter when.
I must admit, you didn’t overlook my intro post, I did. I’ll hop over there and add one. Apologies for that.

Micawber

If you keep your eyes peeled on the for sale section on here, Fedora Lounge and a number either places including the Eastman Classifieds chances are something will pop up but you will need to be a bit patient. You might find something if you pop a wanted advert in those places too. Of course you could fork out the readies and buy a new repro.

Welcome to the forum BTW :)