• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More PayPal Crappola

442RCT

I purchased a jacket a couple days ago from ebay (an ELC Star). PayPal took the money out of my Credit Card account. Instead of paying the seller, PayPal "Froze" the money, holding it hostage until I meet their demands and give them the personal financial information they've been badgering me about for the last few weeks. The seller, is understandably pissed, he was expecting instant payment. I'm pissed because the money has been paid to PayPal by my bank, and they're holding it hostage.

I can contact my bank and ask them not to give PayPal the money...I guess that would prove that I'm the owner of the account.

I wish I had a clue about why PayPal is f*cking with me, someone who's spent over 10K and never had any kind of problem.

greyhound52

I really don't understand this at all. I have purchased using paypal for years and never had to give them any of the demanding information they are asking you. This sucks. Someone who is a lawyer needs to take these clowns to court. In the era of id theft and banks losing some of your personel information (like my own which is why I now have a three year credit check service for free oh btw this has occurred twice) this demand is absurd.

442RCT

tcwu said:
most of paypal users link their account to checking/saving account!
he links paypal to his credit card maybe this is reason why!

I wasn't willing to link to any of my primary accounts, there would be no 'firewall' against PayPal nor anyone else withdrawing money.

My bank opened a new account for me which I can give PayPal, it's been restricted by the bank and limits withdrawals to the account balance, there is no overdraft available. PayPal nor anyone else can withdraw any more than what's in the account. As a preferred bank customer, this service was free. Hopefully PayPal will now stop f*cking with me.

Nope- that didn't seem to satisfy them.

Now they want me to verify my new account by giving them my online bank log on and password. Like I said in the past, what are they, F*CKING NUTS ???

THIRD PARTY ACCOUNTS. By using the Instant Verification Service, you authorize PayPal and its supplier Yodlee, Inc. (“Yodlee”) to access third party sites designated by you, on your behalf, to retrieve information requested by you, or as required by PayPal to verify your bank account. USE OF RESULTS LIMITED. You agree that the results of the Instant Bank Account Confirmation are for your use only in connection with the PayPal Service, on PayPal’s website.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. YOU AGREE THAT NEITHER PAYPAL NOR YODLEE NOR ANY OF THEIR AFFILIATES, ACCOUNT PROVIDERS OR ANY OF THEIR AFFILIATES WILL BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES, EVEN IF PAYPAL OR YODLEE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, RESULTING FROM THE USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE INSTANT BANK ACCOUNT CONFIRMATION SERVICE OR ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE INSTANT VERIFICATION SERVICE.

greyhound52

I don't get this. When paypal verfied my account they deposited a small amount of change like 13 cents to verfiy the account. What the heck do they need your log on and password for? No one should need that but the user and that is what that is for. Heck in computer security training they teach us to never give anyone your password and logon that is basic computer security You are right these folks are nuts.

442RCT

greyhound52 said:
I don't get this. When paypal verfied my account they deposited a small amount of change like 13 cents to verfiy the account. What the heck do they need your log on and password for? No one should need that but the user and that is what that is for. Heck in computer security training they teach us to never give anyone your password and logon that is basic computer security You are right these folks are nuts.

PayPal deposited $1.95 in my account with a 'secret' 4 digit number. They asked me to confirm the number to prove it was my account. I did so, then they said they still didn't believe me and wanted four more items of proof. I don't mind reasonable requests, but this is getting to the point of ridiculous. I feel like Sisyphus rolling a boulder uphill and watching it roll back down. They've also 'frozen' $ 358 that I paid to a seller for a jacket. He told me one minute it was in his PayPal account, the next time he looked, it was gone. I looked on my bank statement and PayPal still has the money somewhere in cyberspace. The said they froze my account and until I submit to their ridiculous demands to prove who I am, they're holding the money. My banker told me, if I wanted, they would deal with PayPal in regards to this credit card issue if the matter wasn't resolved to my satisfaction.

If you want more PayPal foolishness, they said if I opened a PayPal Mastercard account, this would resolve the issues they had with my PayPal account. I did so, even though I had no wish, nor need to get another credit card. I used it for a week on ebay, then PayPal froze my account. I called Mastercard and they said there was nothing wrong with my account, it was a PayPal issue...and the person wished me luck. Since I'd purchased over $ 600 on ebay using that card, I went to the pay it off so I wouldn't accrue any interest charges. PayPal said I couldn't pay it online since I can't prove who I am, but I can pay it by mail. If I were a crook, WHY am I paying off someone elses credit card bill ?????? Don't crooks take money ? Is this a concept that PayPal seems to be missing ????

m444uk

442RCT said:
greyhound52 said:

PayPal deposited $1.95 in my account with a 'secret' 4 digit number. They asked me to confirm the number to prove it was my account. I did so, then they said they still didn't believe me and wanted four more items of proof. I don't mind reasonable requests, but this is getting to the point of ridiculous. I feel like Sisyphus rolling a boulder uphill and watching it roll back down. They've also 'frozen' $ 358 that I paid to a seller for a jacket. He told me one minute it was in his PayPal account, the next time he looked, it was gone. I looked on my bank statement and PayPal still has the money somewhere in cyberspace. The said they froze my account and until I submit to their ridiculous demands to prove who I am, they're holding the money. My banker told me, if I wanted, they would deal with PayPal in regards to this credit card issue if the matter wasn't resolved to my satisfaction.

If you want more PayPal foolishness, they said if I opened a PayPal Mastercard account, this would resolve the issues they had with my PayPal account. I did so, even though I had no wish, nor need to get another credit card. I used it for a week on ebay, then PayPal froze my account. I called Mastercard and they said there was nothing wrong with my account, it was a PayPal issue...and the person wished me luck. Since I'd purchased over $ 600 on ebay using that card, I went to the pay it off so I wouldn't accrue any interest charges. PayPal said I couldn't pay it online since I can't prove who I am, but I can pay it by mail. If I were a crook, WHY am I paying off someone elses credit card bill ?????? Don't crooks take money ? Is this a concept that PayPal seems to be missing ????

I think the ID checks are to comply with new money laundering rules once a certain amount of transactions have taken place.
In the UK no institution like Paypal can make unauthorized withdrawals from a bank account.
Banks would take a dim view of someone handing out online bank log on and password information to anyone.
What does your bank say about this request ? It has nothing to do with providing ID.

442RCT

I think the ID checks are to comply with new money laundering rules once a certain amount of transactions have taken place.
In the UK no institution like Paypal can make unauthorized withdrawals from a bank account.
Banks would take a dim view of someone handing out online bank log on access information to anyone.
What does your bank say about this request ? It has nothing to do with providing ID.

My banker said that PayPal's request was totally out of line and to NEVER give out that information. My banker was the one to suggest they give me a "walled off" account to keep unauthorized withdrawals from being made. The bank said once you give them the routing and account numbers for an account, that effectively bypasses the bank protection against unauthorized withdrawals from that account. When PayPal used my debit card and credit card for payment, the bank 'protected' the account.

I agree with you that none of the information they seek will confirm my ID since we are dealing in cyberspace, not face to face. I could send them all faked documents and they would be none the wiser. They have had more than enough ways that have ID'd me:
1. They called me on my home phone and spoke to me. If I wasn't me, how could I know what was going on with my account ?
2. I did the secret squirrel deposit confirmation per their instructions.
3. I have the correct e-mail, password for my PayPal account.
4. When they send me e-mail to my PayPal e-mail, I respond back.
5. I've used PayPal for over 240 transactions over 6 years without a single problem, my bank has never denied a single payment to them. So what changed.

As for money laundering, it took me 6 years to spend $ 10,000...pretty small wash loads.

Milu

I stopped using paypal and went to googlecheckout. If sellers insist on paypal instead of one of the other alternative methds of payment I walk.

442RCT

Milu said:
I stopped using paypal and went to googlecheckout. If sellers insist on paypal instead of one of the other alternative methds of payment I walk.

The bad thing about PayPal and eBay purchasing is that Paypal is the 1,000 kilo gorillia. If you don't play by their rules, you have very few alternatives. Many of the sellers I'm dealing with have told me they would accept USPS MO as payment. For items over $ 100.00 this is a viable way of payment, for all the small items less than $ 25.00, it gets to be a pain.

PayPal finally removed my 'limitation' after I was able to prove my identity by 'alternate' means, but still insist that I verify myself by submitting a savings or checking account routing number because I'd gone over their $ 500 spending limit...not MY bank's spending limit for my credit card. I'd set up a new limited account already to pay off the PayPal Mastercard account they had me take out in my old PayPal account to 'verify' myself, but said that this limited account can't be used for this account verification. So I'm off to the bank to set up yet another 'limited' account. (a limited account is one where only the available balance is at risk, there is no overdraft possible)

Let's see in the last 4 days, in order to 'comply' with PayPal's demands, I've taken out a PayPal Credit card (which PayPal refuses to honor after $ 600+ dollars of no problem purchases, because I can't prove I'm me, even though the credit card company, which is affiliated with, but not actually part of Paypal, stated I had no limitations as far as they were concerned ), Two new limited checking accounts with my bank specifically set up to do transactions with PayPal.