• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Cap Madness

dmar836

All from the same pattern. The two on the far right are my "wearers" but I wear my navy blue cap(not shown) the most.

One of the new ones fits me spot-on but the others are a bit too big. Need to find some good squadron numbers. The "36th" is one.

As you can see, there are quite a few parts to these. There's "Ole Blue" in front. My good friend Denny gave me the wings on it.

A few of the other "experiments":

Dave

havocpaul

Very nice! I wish someone would make a selection of repros of the caps worn mostly during the 1950's and especially Korean war like those worn by B-29 (and SAC crews too) with the unit/sqn and personal decoration embroidered on. I know Buzz Rickson did a few but weren't imported by ELC and originals now seem to fetch far-off prices, they look really cool IMO.

a2jacketpatches

PM me your address again and I'll send some nice period blue wool felt for numbers. Picked up a few yards a year or two ago.

dmar836

Other than the two I sold on the blog, I have never offered a cap for sale. There are 6 of mine out there - 4 were gifts.
I am far too insecure at this point to subject my hobby to the criticism we give here.
Dave

ausreenactor

dmar836 said:
Other than the two I sold on the blog, I have never offered a cap for sale. There are 6 of mine out there - 4 were gifts.
I am far too insecure at this point to subject my hobby to the criticism we give here.
Dave

I think you are selling yourself short, well gifting yourself short! They look pretty impressive from these pics. The standard you set for the vintage motorcycle resto is apparent here..

Couchy

fishmeok

Hi

It's easy to get down on yourself during the process, but the your end product is pretty damn cool. With your skill level I think you would have no issues at all selling everything you make on the forums and at least pay for your materials and equipment, if not the time spent learning and making them.... Sell them for what you need to make it more or less a wash as far as money goes...

If you ever need horsehide scraps let me know-

Cheers
Mark

dmar836

Shearling caps were just me playing around- something I can't stop doing. I don't have the proper thickness shearling(nor technically the correct shearling joining machine) to make them 100% correctly. The walking foot has no issue conquering shearling but the style of stitch wouldn't be correct.
Same with A-3s. The couple I made were from a destroyed coverall. I would point anyone to Juan for that one - correct looking and reasonable in price IMO.
I might measure and put the squadron caps on my blog.
Working on a messenger/flying bag for my wife now.

Dave

dmar836

Chad,
I used veg tanned as on the original. Can't remember the weight but there can be a fairly wide weigt range and still feel right.
Haven't made any caps in a while but still wear them - especially he squadron caps. Haven't actually worn the B-2s out but maybe I will with the arctic blast coming to the Midwest!
Thanks for writing,
Dave