• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monarch M-445A

bazelot

I recently purchased this Monarch M445A and I have to say it is probably the best I have owned. All the ones I owned in past had stiffened shearling but on this one the shearling is soft with zero issues. There was a small hole around one of the stitch box of the neck leather loop but I fixed it). For once i can say thta this one is fully wearable. It is a size 42 so it fits me.. It is really a superb jacket. It also has a magnificent triple marked Talon zipper that works perfectly well. I don't know when I am going to be able to wear it though as I live in San Francisco and a M-422A is plenty here. :)

photo23_zpsd3d57314.jpg

photo24_zps9c485dbf.jpg

photo26_zps7a290f57.jpg

photo25_zpsc5515122.jpg

photo22_zps783cb9bd.jpg

photo21_zps938de941.jpg

photo19_zps5dd38021.jpg

photo16_zps6ad40c85.jpg

photo15_zps4c46ecf4.jpg

photo14_zpsbffba00f.jpg

photo13_zpsb72c4f4a.jpg

photo12_zpsb8d7d31b.jpg

photo17_zps45aa93e9.jpg

photo11_zpsa8471909.jpg

photo8_zps2059c0c4.jpg

photo7_zpsd88cd372.jpg

photo5_zps796a6313.jpg

chamboid

Wow great jacket. How has the tear on the collar clip been mended? Looks like it was glued?

I have never seen a blackened triple marked Talon either.

There was a fried ostermann in small size on eBay recently that looked new I wasn't sure if it was a repro or not, but its such a risk buying these without handling them.

What's Haight street like for ww2 stuff?

bazelot

chamboid said:
Wow great jacket. How has the tear on the collar clip been mended? Looks like it was glued?

I have never seen a blackened triple marked Talon either.

There was a fried ostermann in small size on eBay recently that looked new I wasn't sure if it was a repro or not, but its such a risk buying these without handling them.

What's Haight street like for ww2 stuff?

Not glued, just stitched back in place as the the shearling is strong enough for thta. It is the first M-445A tha I would wear without thinking twice. I was actually shacked when I received it to see how soft everything was. Usually with M-445A when you fold the shearling were it connects 2 panel and it is folded (like the shoulder for example), the shearling would start cracking without much pressure. On this one you can put pressure on it it won't do anything. It is just soft and pliable.
Zipper is actually not the blackened type it is the brown type. I have seen a few on M-445As before. Those zippers are strictly Navy zippers I think. Monarch may have been the only manufacturer using them.
You definitely have to be careful when buying a M-445A as 95% of them are way too fragile to wear. It is impossible to know from pictures though, you can only tell by handling them. THe good thing about this one is thta it is fully wearable and comes in a human size.

Haight street is a tourist trap and there is nothing there except pricey used clothing. It is fun to go to though. I live in Nob Hill so I do not go there very often.

chamboid

I lived out there for a year, and think I went once, picked up a very nice summer suit which was $60, and fit perfectly. But didn't get round much else on the street.

I was at the bottom of Taylor and Lombard in the ugly block oposite a nice little coffe shop.

I have a M-445a H.L Block, and though most of it is strong it's just the left arm which is dead. It's also been hung up quite a bit so the the shoulder are a little weakened, but not bad. one day i'll et it restored and it should be wearable.

very nice though.

Roughwear

Tom, I have owned several naval shearlings and all had issues making regular wear impossible. Yours on the other hand is the most robust M-445A jacket that I have seen. It must have been stored in ideal conditions since the War to have survived so well. Enjoy admiring it even if you can't wear it much where you live! :)

Peter Graham

Nice score Tom. That looks exactly like the size 40 Monarch that I bought from you a few years back, right down to the paper pocket tag, remember ? Do you have a source that you're not telling us about ? ;)

bazelot

Peter Graham said:
Nice score Tom. That looks exactly like the size 40 Monarch that I bought from you a few years back, right down to the paper pocket tag, remember ? Do you have a source that you're not telling us about ? ;)

Yes the one I sold you was basically mint, however the outer shell of the shearling on that new one is softer.

Skip

Lovely jacket, great to see one in such great condition. Makes you wish you had a touch and feel screen.

Dr H

Do you know Matt, the same thought had crossed my mind when the Isla Fisher pin up thread came up recently.
A fortune to be made there for the virtual reality entrepreneur...
;)

bazelot

Wore the jacket today. Super comfortable but unfortunately too big for me :(. Sizes more like a 44.