• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monarch A-2 made by John

chamboid

So, this after a long wait is soon to be at my door. I originally put my self down for two. But after picking up and original Hercules half belt recently and seen as I have enough I cancelled the second and am happy I did so, and very happy to receiving a superb jacket soon, from the most celebrated of the jacket makers.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/ben_monarch/

When it arrives I will post pictures is the jackets fit and review it's details.

buzzthetower

Administrator
Semi-Combat Clone treatment (WWII-style sewing lines, but no sanding and buffing). Basically what a new original would look like, though a tiny bit better.

John

chamboid

Nah. Not fair on anyone to pass it over and charge.

Yes really wanted the combat stitching to give this jacket a 'soul' meant to mention it in the post, I think its a great idea, and couldn't resist. Look at that wonky label also forgot to say that I'm having a AAF decal applied as well.

Silver Surfer

the next step is to blacken the zip run with gun bluing, and paint the stopper box and zipper pull brown, as were done on all of the wwll monarchs. i like the idea of the not so perfect reproduction. there are some "perfect" originals, but for the most part they werent. nice one, real nice.

foster

Silver Surfer said:
the next step is to blacken the zip run with gun bluing, and paint the stopper box and zipper pull brown, as were done on all of the wwll monarchs. i like the idea of the not so perfect reproduction. there are some "perfect" originals, but for the most part they werent. nice one, real nice.

Keep the bluing solution off the zipper tape, otherwise it is likely to discolor it. Very careful procedure, and I wish you the best success in the project!

foster

chamboid said:
Now any recommendations for the stopper and Puller painting?

I like automotive grade paint. It smells awful, but bonds and cures better than anything else I have used.

chamboid

I wanted to try and emulate a few originals I have seen, and the combat clone stitch was part of this, the wonky label I've seen on many jackets didn't ask for it but like it being there.

Andy's jacket was a big influence which is why I asked for that hide and for the decal to be added too

Peter Graham

chamboid said:
I'm having a AAF decal applied as well.
Surely the AAF decal would only be applied during a depot refurb ? I stand to be corrected here, in fact I'd like to be corrected, as it's a subject that's always confused me.

Kennyz

This Monarch has such an elegant collar. Just a very good looking jacket!

Congratulations, and enjoy!

Ken

Roughwear

chamboid said:
I wanted to try and emulate a few originals I have seen, and the combat clone stitch was part of this, the wonky label I've seen on many jackets didn't ask for it but like it being there.

Andy's jacket was a big influence which is why I asked for that hide and for the decal to be added too

Yes, this was my Monarch which now resides with Vic. It was a very trim size 44.

archbury918

Peter Graham said:
chamboid said:
I'm having a AAF decal applied as well.
Surely the AAF decal would only be applied during a depot refurb ?

Peter, this a topic my friends and I have long debated. The 'Hap Arnold' wing began to appear on the cloth issued jackets late in the war.
As for A-2's we have a standing bet. To date, no one has been able to provide a clear photo IN a combat theatre w/ the decal.
It likely was applied when going thru the refurbishment at the QM. Therefore was stateside applied.
I believe the myth has been perpetuated by Hollywood movies. Those jackets came from costume shops many years after the war and were surplus. They see McQueen in a POW camp w/ the decal and assume it was correct.

Michael

a2jacketpatches

On several occasions I've seen original decals and even purchased a few over the years. The clear part being very yellowed and cracks overall usually. They most certainly made it into the hands of individuals so more than likely have been applied other than from a re-dye depot. Can't peak for brand new out of the contractor brand new though.