• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monarch A-2 has arrived!

Spitfireace

J, you have all the luck with a nice family and kid arround you...I would trade all my jackets if I could go back and enjoy again my kids in this age. Missed it completely when I had a chance ...Now I only have jackets...
I don't have kids so I spend all my money on jackets........they will have to take care of me in my old age:)

Spitfireace

You could say what the market value is these days or you could say whatever you're willing to pay for it. It's really an individual thing IMO.
Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay. You can quote me on that :)

Pilot

I dont want to steal this thread, just doing what was asked by the original author of the thread, post pics...Have only these on my PC right now...more when I am home on 26th of Oct.
84E93046-1B0F-4F6A-AB6B-E3350CE52C5B.jpeg
7179936C-951C-4D57-8652-D0F16226B462.jpeg
A8631083-73BD-441C-87CB-1F5FA0C2ADE1.jpeg
53D97D60-0654-4236-8CF9-0F920E2CA60F.jpeg
4DABE229-46CB-4B9E-B975-6B74D00C7EC7.jpeg
B3E99366-ECBC-456F-A551-33B31D95F9C6.jpeg
A4BC7281-65C3-47C1-B9B7-F030D8E40AAB.jpeg
I have all info and data , photos (copies) from the WW2 wearer...Can also be searched and found on the internet...If interested PM me as I am not going to list it here.
More photos after 26th of Oct, if interest.

Pilot

Another question is...restauring it or not ? , since the cuffs are not in the best condition. Waistband is OK.
I have all original matching WW2 cuffs and waist knitwear out of NOS, even with very light moth bites...but less than the ones on the jacket now....My tailor in Korea has magic fingers..So...restauring or not restauring...even with WW2 originals? Liner is vg, only a bit of wear in the neck...other than that all good ( snaps, fastener, tags, hanger etc...) and original to the jacket.

Last edited:

79 Ranger

How’s the sizing for the Monarch run big/small? Any one that has an original A-2 that wears a 38-40 is there a big size difference? I have original m-422a’s 7823’s etc. I know every jacket runs different are they comparable in size to the 7823? I ask because I have an opportunity to buy a really nice original A-2 I usually wear a 40-42 in the older g-1s a 40 in anything 70’s or newer the a-2 is a size 38 Monarch, and I’m just not sure if it’ll fit measurements are really close to some of my size 40-42 earlier 7823 g-1’s though. Any help would be much appreciated!

johnwayne

Given variance in pattern/sizing by maker, I think most here over time have said originals tend to be at least one size poss two smaller than we'd wear today and the fairly recent past info we've see re contracts and quantities to the respective companies (as in ELC's A2 manual), I don't think I've ever seen how they split the sizes say on a 50k quantity, or have I missed something?). I would guess 36-38" would be the dominant quantities, followed by 40" and reducing as the sizing goes up, hence how now a 44" wearable original is a desirable thing. Just something that has intrigued me for some time!

79 Ranger

My problem is nothing fits me right I’m short and wide shoulders my height and arm length are a 36-38 my chest and waist more like a 40-42 depending on how old the jacket is. So it’s very difficult to find an original that fits me great.

Spitfireace

The measurements of my original Monarch A-2 size 38 are: pit to pit 20 inches, sleeves are 22 and a half (24 and a half with knit), back length from collar seam to knit is 22 and a half (with knit 24 and a half). Hope that helps you.

Spitfireace

Also a correction on sleeves, they are 24 and three quarters with knit. So same length for sleeves and back. Couldn't tell you if this is the same for every size 38 Monarch jacket. You would think so though.

79 Ranger

That’s very similar to the measurements of the monarch I have the opportunity to buy I didn’t get the shoulder measurements yet though, those measuements are also almost exactly the same as a few of the 7823 g-1 jackets I own in size 40 and 42 only difference being the shoulder measurements are an inch or two bigger. Which unfortunately I think I’ll need. The jacket is amazing tho painted and in good condition I really hope it fits!

Spitfireace

I don't think 38's run any bigger than 17 and a half inches, 18 is definitely a 40. I usually have a problem with modern off the rack repros in that I'm a 38 in upper body, but five foot four. So they are usually too long since people are taller in general than they were in WW2. The average airman was about five seven according to AAF records. Also as Johnwayne said above that the bulk of jackets were in the 36 to 40 range. Understandable too when airmen were about 20 years old and pretty fit I suppose. If you need at least 18 inches in shoulders I'm afraid it won't work for you. It'll be too tight.

79 Ranger

A lot of the size 38 measurements are very similar to my size 40 jackets except like you said in the shoulders being an inch or two smaller, Im about 5’6 but I’m about 170-180 pounds, a 38 is perfect in sleeve length and length of jacket but I really need atleast a 40 in chest and waist so nothing fits me right usually, if only I were a little taller LOL the jacket is a beauty I’m going to take the hour drive to look at it, there’s a few others there that are really nice too that may fit better.

Pilot

My WW2 A-2 Bronco 38“ ( pics above)
has 18“ shoulders, 21“ 3/4 pit to pit, 24“ in the back and 24“ 1/2 on arms.
I can almost close it... I normally wear 23-23“ pit-to pit.

Spitfireace

My WW2 A-2 Bronco 38“ ( pics above)
has 18“ shoulders, 21“ 3/4 pit to pit, 24“ in the back and 24“ 1/2 on arms.
I can almost close it... I normally wear 23-23“ pit-to pit.
That would be closer to what 79ranger would need.

79 Ranger

38 is way to small for me ended up making the trip to check a few out and I need closer to a size 42 for an original a-2, maybe a large 40 or even a small 44. the a-2’s seem to run even smaller than my original m-422a and 7823’s.