• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern issue A-2: the new collector item?

WingAndaPrayer

The answer is yes in several years to come, but this jacket is severely over priced . You can find these jackets in NOS, unworn condition for about $225.00 or less.
I think if there’s another big war it will drive the popularity up for these. That same seller also had an original in the box B-15A for $25k

Skyhawk

Some of first new A-2's in the late 1980's were pretty nice. Those ones are near 40 years old. Vintage in most people's book. The value is still lagging. I think that if the pockets were done with a little more authenticity and the pattern was less balloon like, they would be more desirable and the value would be higher. I wonder if those things could be achieved and still meet the current specifications. Somebody like Cockpit should try that.

johnwayne

That particular jacket IMO will never be highly collectable! Not built to vintage standards nor the standards of the better repro makers we all know, albeit we do see from time to time crazy prices for some of those!!

Rutger

This pricing won't work with me. Maybe someone else will consider this an investment. Maybe I'm not smart enough to make an offer. Maybe the tag is worth $300. I doubt this would be Jorge. But if so, to each his own.

1665773600017.png

YoungMedic

Maybe he's looking for lower offers, never hurts to start high I suppose if you don't mind hanging on to it

Ed Rooney

Seems steep. Good luck to him.

Cockpit branded DSCP USAF issue jackets are trash. The one you want is the Avirex branded DSCP, but even those don't usually go for over $200. I got mine for about $90.

Chandler

Seems steep. Good luck to him.

Cockpit branded DSCP USAF issue jackets are trash. The one you want is the Avirex branded DSCP, but even those don't usually go for over $200. I got mine for about $90.
Isn't Cockpit made by Avirex, or vice versa?

Ed Rooney

Avirex was Avirex, Inc., which sold stuff out of their catalog called "The Cockpit" in the 80s/90s, but the jackest were branded Avirex. Sometime 10-15 years ago, they sold the Avirex brand and continued to operate as "Cockpit USA", which is how they brand their jackets. Basically the same company the entire time.

The reason the Cockpit jackets are trash is that they fall under the Berry Amendment, which requires that US Gov't stuff be made in USA. American goatskin is not as good as the stuff they used 20 years ago. Apparently Pakistan goat skin is far superior. The cockpit jackets have a coating on them that resembles a heft garbage bag, and it peels off really easily. I have one of the Avirex jackets from before the change, and it's really nice. Both versions are cut fairly large.

B-Man2

I’d just like to add that the best “new jackets” were made during the early 1990s period when the A2 was just being re-issued. The goat skins were in better condition and the were made by Sadderly Co. which was Cooper and they really are good deals for the money .

Chandler

Avirex was Avirex, Inc., which sold stuff out of their catalog called "The Cockpit" in the 80s/90s, but the jackest were branded Avirex. Sometime 10-15 years ago, they sold the Avirex brand and continued to operate as "Cockpit USA", which is how they brand their jackets. Basically the same company the entire time.
I didn't realize that was the chronology of the brand. Explains all of the trendy, youth-oriented "fashion" items labeled with Avirex after a certain period. Never understood that turn for the brand.

JonnyCrow

I’d just like to add that the best “new jackets” were made during the early 1990s period when the A2 was just being re-issued. The goat skins were in better condition and the were made by Sadderly Co. which was Cooper and they really are good deals for the money .
Agreed I have a 1994 saddlery cooper here, still with the velcro flight patch backings stitched on