• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MK IV Navy goggles, Navy A-14 and complete NAF Winter helmet

bazelot

THis is the latest addition to my helmet collection. When these goggles showed up on Ebay I had to get them. THey are the Navy MK IV and are probably some of the rarest goggles produced in WWII. I had seen pictures of them probably once or twice before and they never came up for sale on Ebay. I bought them along with the NAF 1092 W pictured with it and the Navy A-14 oxygen mask pictured with a 192S helmet equipped with oxygen mask snaps.

IMG_6951.jpg

IMG_6950.jpg

IMG_6949.jpg

IMG_6948.jpg

IMG_6947.jpg

IMG_6945.jpg

Navy A-14 oxygen mask:

IMG_6958.jpg

IMG_6957.jpg

IMG_6956.jpg

IMG_6953.jpg

IMG_6960.jpg

dmar836

Re: MK IV Navy goggles, Navy A-14 and complete NAF Winter he

Bella! Perfect patina too.
More of the collection, please!

jack31916

Wow ! Nice collection of helmets, goggles & oxygenmasks you've got !

unclegrumpy

Congratulations on the great goggle score! Thanks for posting the link as well....no too many people collect Navy flight gear, and that was some of the best I have seen.

bazelot

unclegrumpy said:
Congratulations on the great goggle score! Thanks for posting the link as well....no too many people collect Navy flight gear, and that was some of the best I have seen.

Thanks. There are few people who collect Navy flight gear but some seem to have really big pockets. In the instance of these MK IV goggles I really went all out as I wanted a pair and in 3 years of collecting naval flight gear I had never seen one. I have a WWII naval aviation flight gear reference book and they are not even listed on it.
I just bought Mick Prodger's book on vintage flight helmets. I think he has pics and references of the MK IV in that book.

A

Anonymous

Bitchen :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

dujardin

splendid Mark IV goggles

first time i saw this model.
i will complete my file.

i also saw many Navy oxy mask on your post on USmilitariaforum; really interesting

thanksssssssss
marcel

unclegrumpy

bazelot said:
Thanks. There are few people who collect Navy flight gear but some seem to have really big pockets. In the instance of these MK IV goggles I really went all out as I wanted a pair and in 3 years of collecting naval flight gear I had never seen one. I have a WWII naval aviation flight gear reference book and they are not even listed on it.

I think you are doing very well for being at it for only three years. One of the reasons I think that some of the Navy flight helmets get so spendy, is some of the variations were scarce to start out with, and did not survive well.

Regarding the MK IV goggles, I think they were one of the prewar commercial variants that the Navy bought up just before the war. I'll have to think about where I read that....I might also have a picture of them somewhere from in a late 30's aviation sales catalog.

Those are exceptionally tough goggles to find, and I doubt you will ever regret stepping up to get them.

bazelot

unclegrumpy said:
bazelot said:

I think you are doing very well for being at it for only three years. One of the reasons I think that some of the Navy flight helmets get so spendy, is some of the variations were scarce to start out with, and did not survive well.

Regarding the MK IV goggles, I think they were one of the prewar commercial variants that the Navy bought up just before the war. I'll have to think about where I read that....I might also have a picture of them somewhere from in a late 30's aviation sales catalog.

Those are exceptionally tough goggles to find, and I doubt you will ever regret stepping up to get them.

If you could dig up references somewhere that would be great. I will never regret buying those goggles :). I have close to 30 pairs of MKII and AN6530 goggles as they were mass produced in WWII the MK IV though is rarer than hen's teeth.
There is a pair of commercial MK IV for sale on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-OPTICAL-GO ... 500wt_1156

The commercial version is more common than the Navy contract ones but they are still nice goggles. I hope the flight helmet book I just bought will be rewarding.

unclegrumpy

I will do some looking, but I fear that catalog is going to one of those things I will have to "find" again. As far as the flight helmet book, I think you will be pleased with it. It is the best book out there....though so much information is now online that it is not really the only game in town anymore.