• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

missing link?

Juanito

I don’t get all the suspense. If someone knows exactly what this is , why not share it with everyone. Unless they have some doubts about it and are unsure like the rest of us. Even so put it out there so we can discuss it.
I would agree. I read the last few cryptic posts and all I could think was, "WTH is going on?" It is like being around a gaggle of girls in middle school.

foster

I have strong doubts about the label. All I can do is guess; seems to be a civilian one with different label. Plus others pointed out the zipper maybe replaced.

Smithy

It is like being around a gaggle of girls in middle school.

That is EXACTLY what it is like and it reminds me of the hysterical hoofluff that used to blow up around the all girls schools back home.

This isn't exactly national fucking security we're talking about here, it's a piece of daggy, old clothing. Those who have something to say, put up or shut up, but let's quit with all the drama and top secret arse.

saucerfiend

That is EXACTLY what it is like and it reminds me of the hysterical hoofluff that used to blow up around the all girls schools back home.

This isn't exactly national fucking security we're talking about here, it's a piece of daggy, old clothing. Those who have something to say, put up or shut up, but let's quit with all the drama and top secret arse.
We might just have to wait till they have time to post.

foster

Dave said Rough Wear. Is he talking about the Manufacturer or Andrew Swatland?

I missed that post; had to go back and find it.

Looking at the first images again, I do see some traits of a Rough Wear jacket. Did someone doctor up a used repro?

DiamondDave

Gents,

Ok I guess I am doing this.

First off lets just say that you have an old Rough Wear jacket laying around that is basically shot, knackered if you will, such as...

and lets assume that the collar stand is badly damaged, as well as say the pockets and maybe the underside of the collar, which are completely beyond repair as they sit. SO you decide to replace some parts. Now assume that you also have a really badly damaged pair of Type A-2 trousers, the leather of which almost matches exactly that of the original jacket. But, on said trousers you happen to have an almost perfect zipper and most of the leather isn't too bad.

Now you are a pretty good jacket builder, and rebuilder, so you know you can make this happen.

Collar stand cut from "new" leather, hell while you're about it, why not go ahead and make some early style eps as well? Pockets need to be re-sewn anyway, so you take those off, and make some adjustments, especially adding some new extra stitching to the flaps as well as the body when you reapply them. Now what the hell, lets make a jetting piece for the interior as well, that's a nice and early touch, right? The zip as discussed, is in really good shape, so you add this in as well.

Overall what I am saying is this, if you look at the jacket above and scroll back to the first pic of this jacket, the family connection is obvious. This jacket is a Rough Wear, and likely the 23380 or 1401-P variety. Fudge the label a bit, and you have a newly undiscovered jacket... or you know, NOT.

I have deeply enjoyed watching the "Experts" make claims about this jacket, it really has been an entertaining excercise. This jacket is not the missing link to anything and is a fantasy, though a well executed one.

And NO, to answer your first question, I am NOT the operator in question, nor is John. I personally lack the skills and or patience to make this jacket happen, and though John does have those skills, he wouldn't waste his time in this fashion.

Caveat Emptor,

DD

Last edited:

Technonut2112

yup, mysto jacket. the hides are veg tanned, and the thread is cotton...i think. the woman i purchased the jacket from said that her grand dad got it at patterson field [wright patterson?] in the 1930s. the jacket came to me post marked from ohio. all in all she just didnt have much in the way of anything to share

So, if it is a doctored RW, that would mean the woman quoted above is a liar, and orchestrated the construction with a machine-operator known to this forum? If not, perhaps just a made-up story by Silver Surfer to have a bit of fun? I'm confused..

Gents,

Not my story to tell, and I will let the OP or the machine operator, who is a member here as well, tell you what it actually is.

DD