• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Militaria Shows for Jackets... ??

Can you guys suggest your favorite militaria shows for finding jackets. There is one here May 9th in Southern California - anyone ever been to this show? Any others out there you could recommend, especially west coast?

watchmanjimg

I can't speak for the shows in California but in my experience you never know what you'll find. If it's not too much trouble I say you should give it a try. Happy hunting!!!

TankBuster

I agree. It's always worth a shot to check out local shows.
Honestly, you just missed the biggest militaria show in the country. It's called the Show of Shows and it's usually held the 1st week of March in Louisville KY. There are usually more ww2 flight jackets than a person can count.

spencer.hoglund said:
Can you guys suggest your favorite militaria shows for finding jackets. There is one here May 9th in Southern California - anyone ever been to this show? Any others out there you could recommend, especially west coast?
Where is it? I'd like to check it out.

dmar836

I'd almost tend to suggest smaller local shows or even those at VFWs, etc. There used to be an incredible VFW show twice a year outside of Syracuse, NY in Liverpool where I lived. The reason to me is you can make lasting connections with many vendors who don't tend to travel to the big shows and you have a smaller crowd around.
Stony and I were at SOS in '13 and I didn't see many jackets moving. Most were completely undocumented and very overpriced - certainly IMO no better than what is typically available on eBay. At a big show, if a jacket is reasonably moved it is often done so between vendors prior to opening the doors to the public and then shows up on another table all until a base price tends to be set.
If I recall, I think one patched A2 sold or closed on eBay just after the SOS show for quite a bit less than he was looking for there.
JMO,
Dave

unclegrumpy

One aspect of going to Shows...especially the big ones....is the opportunity to see more things. I think it is a mistake to discount the educational element in all of this. The internet is a great tool, but there is no substitute for getting some hands on experience and directly talking to people.

While I agree you might not buy anything, you might gain the knowledge base to make better decisions when more favorably priced buying decisions present themselves. You can just as easily get screwed at a little Show as a big one....and either way, you are still going to have to be your own expert.

dmar836

Sorry to carry on off topic but its true about not buying anything. Sometimes the show size and options are paralyzing. At SOS it had been a while and I think I was afraid I'd spend the lot then find something that really tickled me the next day. Then again, Stony said he saw a painted jacket for cheap when he had just arrived, came back and it was gone.
I focus on AAF so seeing all the other stuff is interesting, especially knowing some of it, but I wish I could magically put highlights on AAF items and go check them out first. You feel like you are digging around one area hoping not to overlook a hidden gem while someone else came in another door and just fell on the deal of the century. You just can't cover it all fast enough and everyone prolly feels the same sense of urgency. Of course my pride sets in and I kinda shut down and stop caring anymore.
There does appear to be an ever expanding segment at the shows of openly advertized repro stuff. But lay it on a table in the next row and...
You can indeed be taken anywhere. I don't collect SS or other highly cloned stuff so that helps. The day is coming soon where a mint, period A-2 will be hard to identify. M42 outfits were like that for a while and I wouldn't dare pay market for one now. I still have serious doubts about the B-3 Mae West I got at SOS. It was still there the last day and might be a bit too clean.
If you like old stuff, surely, any show is an education.
Dave

Phantomfixer

Going to shows is a good way to see touch and feel as stated...I love the experience, talking with other collectors and vendors... I always seem to come away with having learned something new....
never made it to the SOS, but the local Army Navy goes and sets up there...he always has a blast and comes back with cool stuff..

I go to a small MVPA show at the Cal Ripken Stadium...small by comparison,,, but big enough to find good deals... last year or so bought a AA B3 flight jacket for under 100.00 in decent condition...along with A-6 boots...

anyway...enjoy your show and happy hunting...
any pics of the B3 mae west...and was the B3 made only by Air Cruisers??

a2jacketpatches

Bellflower, Ca eagles club once a month I think. I've only been once but you'll find some goodies there for sure. Small shows like this are hit or miss for Flight Jackets but the area in general produces more than I'm used to being from the Boston area. California in general is a target rich environment for AAF stuff. I miss in for that alone.

dmar836

Phantom,
I'll try to post pics of the B3 for critique in another thread. Maybe the militaria forum would be most appropriate but I like it better here. ;)

Dave

Stony

I agree that the SoS has lots of stuff, but like Dave said, if you don't pull the trigger you just might miss out (I did).

I should be at the Pomona show at the Fairplex in May. I went last year and there was a good chunk of flight jackets.