• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Memphis Belle Jacket question

2jakes

Regarding the original "Memphis Belle" documentary made during WW2.
Prior to takeoff in the briefing room most of the crew are wearing leather jackets
of different shades. I know that camera lights can add some gloss on the leather ,
but even outside the jackets have a shine to them. They were fairly new issued
jackets. And with the war , I don't believe these flyers had the time or even think
about using leather conditioner. So I ask the experts here with your knowledge ,were
the jackets coated by the manufacturers & what was use if they did ? I was viewing
some of the jackets @ Aero & they also have similar look . Thanks.

Peter Graham

I don't have my copy close at hand for reference but are you referring to A-2 jackets or shearlings ? I'm not any kind of expert but I know that US shearling jackets had a protective coating sprayed on that added to the shine. I don't believe A-2's had any sort of coating. Just nice, shiny new jackets. :)

Roughwear

The B-3 jackets had a polyacrilate top finish which would have given them a sheen. A2s had no such finish applied. They were either aniline dyed or spray finished. You see a lot of variation in the sheen or lack of sheen on original A2s as those in this thread shows.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11070

deand

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPU-LxYHKoo&feature=fvsr[/video]

MemphisBelle_crew_USAF.jpg

dean