• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Measurement differences

I’m just a breath away from ordering an A2 from FiveStar. I’ve been looking at FS size chart and guide they provide in descriptions of every jacket, as well as the how to guide pinned here.

I know they are not very popular here, but the only other leather jackets I have to measure and compare with are a Cockpit USA Modern A2 with the hand warmers and inside pocket and such, and a US Wings Indiana Jones “Adventure” type jacket.

I understand the WW2 type A2 we usually discuss here, and the modern A2 designed in the ‘80’s that Cockpit does are designed differently and measured to fit differently on different body types. Knowing that, when I measure my Cockpit A2, I come up with very different measurements than what FiveStar’s guide for a 46 list. The back length I come up with on my Cockpit is almost 28” from bottom of the collar to the bottom of the knit, whereas FiveStar’s length for a 46 in the style I’m looking at is listed as 24.6. Should there be that much difference? Does the difference in design make up that much difference? Even my “Indiana Jones” jacket came up to 28-29”. The sleeves were also about 1.5” shorter on the FiveStar guide as well - 25.4” vs 26.5-27”.

I’m pretty sure I’m taking the measurements correctly. Is there that much difference in a WW2 repro and a “modern” A2?

OperationCoffee

Cockpit jackets are mall jackets. They will not fit like a 5*. Go with 5* measurements. Other members will chime in. Nobody here would buy a Cockpit jacket but many own 5* in addition to originals. You can always swap out a 5* if it doesn’t fit.

Cockpit jackets are mall jackets. They will not fit like a 5*. Go with 5* measurements. Other members will chime in. Nobody here would buy a Cockpit jacket but many own 5* in addition to originals. You can always swap out a 5* if it doesn’t fit.
Yes but an inch is an inch is an inch whether it’s 5star, Cockpit, or Eastman. And “just swapping” a jacket from GA to Pakistan isn’t “just swapping”.

Last edited:
I’ll let others share their experiences with 5* . 5* customer service is very good should it not fit

I’ve heard the same, but they may not be so willing to straight exchange a jacket if I ask for certain customizations or longer sleeves. Even if they were cool about it, I’m sure there’s an additional cost and process. The jacket season in middle Georgia is short enough already without added delays flying jackets back and forth all over the world.

mulceber

I’ve heard the same, but they may not be so willing to straight exchange a jacket if I ask for certain customizations or longer sleeves. Even if they were cool about it, I’m sure there’s an additional cost and process. The jacket season in middle Georgia is short enough already without added delays flying jackets back and forth all over the world.
Aim for the circumference of the jacket to be about 5 inches bigger than your actual chest measurement. Maybe 6 or 7, if you like a baggier fit, or 4 if you really want it to be fitted.

Aim for the circumference of the jacket to be about 5 inches bigger than your actual chest measurement. Maybe 6 or 7, if you like a baggier fit, or 4 if you really want it to be fitted.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure that I’m looking for at least 46, probably a 48. However, I also want to make sure that when I raise my arms, my jacket doesn’t come up to my armpits.

This is what I measured on my CockPit. I know these weren’t designed to fit just like a WW2 A2, but the length fits pretty close, and it’s the only point of reference I have.

Attachments

• IMG_6121.jpeg
    IMG_6121.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40

mulceber

Where does the bottom edge of the cockpit jacket fall on you? On a traditional A-2 jacket, the knits should just barely cover your belt loops on modern-fit pants, with a bit of extra material for draping. For example:
front_view3.jpg

A lot of mall jackets may feel right to your average Joe, but they're in fact ~2 inches too long.

mulceber

In general, A-2 jackets ride up relatively easily. Pretty much inevitable, thanks to the knits. I find if your arms are at a 90 degree angle in front of you, the jacket doesn’t ride up. But much above that, and yeah, you’ll probably have to correct it.

B-Man2

TD
You touched on the issue briefly in your opening statement. Cockpit and wings jackets are made to what are current day measurements for a standard size 46 jacket.
GWs ELCs and 5 Stars are made according to WWII measurements for what was then a size 46. If you want to compare the differences a current size 46 Cockpit jacket would be closer in measurements to a size 48 or 50 WWII A2 . Conversely a size 46 WWII A2 would be closer to a size 42 or 44 Cockpit A2 in todays measurements .

Where does the bottom edge of the cockpit jacket fall on you? On a traditional A-2 jacket, the knits should just barely cover your belt loops on modern-fit pants, with a bit of extra material for draping. For example:
front_view3.jpg

A lot of mall jackets may feel right to your average Joe, but they're in fact ~2 inches too long.
This is what I get with my 28” back cockpit modern A2. Perhaps a bit longer than “barely covering the belt loops”, but I think I like it a touch longer.
If I measured correctly, those sleeves are 26.5” from the shoulder seam to the bottom of the knit cuff running the tape along the outside edge of the sleeve.

Attachments

• IMG_6123.jpeg
    IMG_6123.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6122.jpeg
    IMG_6122.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6124.jpeg
    IMG_6124.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
Last edited: