• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MARTIN LANE Size 46 patched

Flightengineer

Very legit authentic jacket FE, thanks for asking. Squadron, air wing, ship and mission patches all make sense and align with a D series G1 time-wise (Vietnam era). Lots of folks didn't do a nametag, or any patches at all for whatever reason. Navy, unlike the USAF, did not have any rules for patching jackets. It was up to the individual airman. I think its a beautiful authentic piece of kit and you should treasure it.
John, thanks for responding to my PM and input in this thread.
Now Thomas can be 100% sure that he has acquired a real pearl for his collection :)

Phrog Driver

Very legit authentic jacket FE, thanks for asking. Squadron, air wing, ship and mission patches all make sense and align with a D series G1 time-wise (Vietnam era). Lots of folks didn't do a nametag, or any patches at all for whatever reason. Navy, unlike the USAF, did not have any rules for patching jackets. It was up to the individual airman. I think its a beautiful authentic piece of kit and you should treasure it.
Verification here that the Connie's embarked Vietnam era airwing was CVW-14, which included VF-143. They were flying F-4's at the time.

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-67/index.html

Thomas Koehle

That's good news!

Thx for your evaluation and input.

I will keep the jacket as a significant historical specimen

Thomas Koehle

Now that you've established that the jacket is legit, well, you've got yourself a fully-functional piece of history there, Thomas! Wear it in good health.

Yeah i know.

I feel pretty stocked coz i ran into it by accident.

I will need to find a special place to maybe put it on display somewhere in my mancave. The jacket is on its way and should arrive with me Saturday.

Thanks to all of you for the support in identifying and confirming.

Thomas Koehle

Finally the jacket arrived ...

You see me smiling coz i'm still pretty excited

BuARFQM.jpg

yfyZk7A.jpg

8rJ7WHw.jpg

SEZYrUv.jpg

L0EeJ2y.jpg

7f6Kehj.jpg

PacpWYN.jpg

kv0BZcY.jpg

ZejgStc.jpg

LJsNAMa.jpg

Dumpster D

Hey nice!! I love your jacket!

Would love to hear your thoughts on this jacket here, it's kinda same as your one except it's beat up a bit:

Check out the one I got!!

Picked one of these up a few months ago, well it followed me home. Poor thing had been kicking around for a few decades in the back of an old Army surplus store, I guess it had been waiting there for me all these years. NO one else wanted it apparently. I saw it hanging here and there and just for whatever reason, there it remained....It was a sign that it was meant to be mine I guess?

Check out THIS mouton!!! Two tone, Wonder who repaired it or if it was made this way huh?

Again, no one wanted it because of the cuffs I suppose? Great find because I haven't picked up a G-1 in years and years.

I physically dug this out of a rack, it was hidden well...and actually talked to the store owner and made sure he was cool with me having it, as he was somewhat reluctant about selling it all these years I'd been asking about it. And Actually purchased it over the counter and walked out of the store wearing it!!!

I don't know anything about it, other than it's awesome and I can look up the persons info in the Archives if I want.

Here is one, if not THE VERY LAST true remaining G-1 Jackets you'll ever have found out in the wild, Take it in!!!

And NO, I will not be replacing the cuffs just because too many people here love to dismantle original stuff. :pPHPHPH!!!

I like em Shredded and ratty and original. VINTAGE. That's all you need to know.

IMG_1719.jpg
IMG_1720.jpg

Thomas Koehle

Hey nice!! I love your jacket!

Would love to hear your thoughts on this jacket here, it's kinda same as your one except it's beat up a bit:

Check out the one I got!!

Picked one of these up a few months ago, well it followed me home. Poor thing had been kicking around for a few decades in the back of an old Army surplus store, I guess it had been waiting there for me all these years. NO one else wanted it apparently. I saw it hanging here and there and just for whatever reason, there it remained....It was a sign that it was meant to be mine I guess?

Check out THIS mouton!!! Two tone, Wonder who repaired it or if it was made this way huh?

Again, no one wanted it because of the cuffs I suppose? Great find because I haven't picked up a G-1 in years and years.

I physically dug this out of a rack, it was hidden well...and actually talked to the store owner and made sure he was cool with me having it, as he was somewhat reluctant about selling it all these years I'd been asking about it. And Actually purchased it over the counter and walked out of the store wearing it!!!

I don't know anything about it, other than it's awesome and I can look up the persons info in the Archives if I want.

Here is one, if not THE VERY LAST true remaining G-1 Jackets you'll ever have found out in the wild, Take it in!!!

And NO, I will not be replacing the cuffs just because too many people here love to dismantle original stuff. :pPHPHPH!!!

I like em Shredded and ratty and original. VINTAGE. That's all you need to know.

View attachment 136011View attachment 136013

Absolutely awesome jacket!

Yeah - seems it has been waiting for the right moment to go with you.

It’s a cool size - we know meanwhile we’re getting into “thin air” when looking for the larger ones.

I’m fine with the knits being beaten up …

Greg Gale

In February 1969 VF-143 ‘Puking Dogs’ returned from Yankee Station on the Connie. Then on March 3rd 2 crews were sent to Miramar on a brand new graduate training program that was just starting. Pilots call it today: Topgun.

So Thomas, this may very well be the most original Topgun jacket ever. If it was my size I’d pay a fortune to get it off you :)

pd1-VF-143-and-VF-142-F-4Js-on-USS-Constellation-1969-70.jpg

Thomas Koehle

In February 1969 VF-143 ‘Puking Dogs’ returned from Yankee Station on the Connie. Then on March 3rd 2 crews were sent to Miramar on a brand new graduate training program that was just starting. Pilots call it today: Topgun.

So Thomas, this may very well be the most original Topgun jacket ever. If it was my size I’d pay a fortune to get it off you :)

pd1-VF-143-and-VF-142-F-4Js-on-USS-Constellation-1969-70.jpg

Hey Greg,

“köszi szepen” for your investigation. Actually I didn’t expect I found such a special item anyway if you and the other guys on the forum wouldn’t have told me.

Thanks to everyone else who contributed their knowledge - actually the buy was a “hit by accident” and I didn’t expect the jacket would be that special

Erwin

Thomas, as I indicated previously, great jacket with a very rare patch [especially one]. Congrats!

Dumpster D have you got this USMC g1 from Canada? It was a great deal [regarding patches]. Some weird dude listed this g1 on eBay with a multiplied price and the pictures from the original dealer website ;)

Dumpster D

Dumpster D have you got this USMC g1 from Canada? It was a great deal [regarding patches]. Some weird dude listed this g1 on eBay with a multiplied price and the pictures from the original dealer website ;)

It was purchased from a military surplus store in Canada.

There used to be lots of G-1 Jackets circulating around Toronto on the Vintage clothing market.

Acquiring this jacket felt like it was one of the last true Vintage flight jackets from that golden wave of G-1 Jackets. *sigh* oh it was glory days.

20 years ago, you could have grabbed a pretty nice G-1 Jacket downtown in a vintage shop between $60-80 CDN.

Looking back I regret not buying a few more.

So in a way, this jacket makes me nostalgic for the old days, good times running amok downtown, wearing a G-1 Jacket on some wild nights.

Last edited: