• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MARTIN LANE Size 46 patched

Thomas Koehle

Gents,

i just purchased a nice addition to the collection ...

i had to let go one ORCHARD from 86 and one COOPER from 92 before i got permission of the F&C dept to buy another one - because of space issues and for funding

I see on the photos the triangular patch has been previously sitting below the nametag but was reloed a bit higher maybe to accomodate the "200 Mission" patch

According to the previous owner all patches are original - well based on the fraying on the edges that sound plausible to me - no more details known

The jacket looks legit to me - at least i hope it is

Let me know your toughts

3gB4HAp.jpg

YevK7KH.jpg

5D8D0fX.jpg

dksf2aI.jpg

LhO1NuI.jpg

B-Man2

Thomas the triangular patch says “ Fortune Favers The Bold “ in Latin.
Can’t get a good look at the right shoulder patch .

Boyo

Far from an expert, but the label is awfully mint for 55 year old jacket…and any thoughts on the rectangle stitching around the hanger?
all that said the fading on the mouton looks authentic..

I hope it all works out for you Thomas..

B-Man2

Thomas
Are you getting any kind of provenance with the jacket?
Any photos ?
Documents ?
Name of original owner so you can check the rolls of VFA-143?

Thomas Koehle

Far from an expert, but the label is awfully mint for 55 year old jacket…and any thoughts on the rectangle stitching around the hanger?

For me it looks like the triangel has previously been located with a namepatch still present - then the “200 mission patch” was applied so the “CVW” patch needed to move

The stitching would match the dimensions …

Flightengineer

My G-1 from the same year also has a mint label and stitching around the hanger, and a faded mouton. There is no doubt for me about the legitimacy of the jacket itself.

Phrog Driver

Nice jacket, Thomas.
The patches looks original in my opinion. Although I have never seen a name tag cut off and a patch sewn on top, it may have been done later after the pilot retired or by next owner.
In any case, here definitely need input from an expert and a person who flew from the deck, hope John @Phrog Driver can help.
Very legit authentic jacket FE, thanks for asking. Squadron, air wing, ship and mission patches all make sense and align with a D series G1 time-wise (Vietnam era). Lots of folks didn't do a nametag, or any patches at all for whatever reason. Navy, unlike the USAF, did not have any rules for patching jackets. It was up to the individual airman. I think its a beautiful authentic piece of kit and you should treasure it.