• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marilyn Monroe USO Korean Tour Jacket

442RCT

I'm going to drop off one of my A-2s for a Marilyn Monroe paint job tomorrow.
I've incorporated the 5th AF patch and an F-86 Sabre in the design.
I was looking for a clear photo of Marilyn in a sheath dress, but after hours of surfing the net didn't find anything I wanted to use. I appropriated an illustration of Marilyn from a poster of her, James Dean and Elvis. I'm going to have the artist give her a bright smile...I didn't like the forlorn look she had in the poster.

I tried different designs and logos, but decided to K.I.S.S., Keep It Simple Stupid.

While researching her USO trip, I couldn't help but to admire her for the way she handled herself during the tour, no prima donna was she, according to most sources.
Chris Sarno, a Marine who saw one of her shows remarked-
"In spite of the cold and the flakes of snow falling from the sky, Sarno said that Marilyn Monroe stepped out onto the stage in a stunning cocktail dress with spaghetti straps. "The cheering was the loudest I had ever heard," he said. "I never thought that well of Marilyn Monroe. I never thought that she was a good actress, and I considered her sort of like a slutty person." But the longer Marilyn stayed on the stage, the higher Sarno’s regard for her grew. "It had to be only like 5 or 10 degrees above zero," he said. "She wasn’t a great singer, but who cared. She sounded good enough. She was a knockout. She could do no wrong. She changed my mind towards her. She was truly beautiful; really beautiful, gorgeous. She had a naiveté about herself despite being the most desirable woman in the world. She wasn’t performing like a tart. She was really trying to entertain us."
http://www.koreanwar-educator.org/memoirs/sarno/p_sarno_65_marilyn.htm
6a00d83451bdba69e200e5506851828833-800wi.jpg

mm_korea.jpg

And here's my tribute jacket to honor Marilyn's Feb. 1954, USO Tour, to entertain the troops in Korea.
mm_03copy.jpg

Tim P

Fantastic idea but I am going to be critical of the placement of the 5th Air force insignia. It either needs to go or to be displayed where the whole design can be seen.. :)
wonderful.

dujardin

splennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndid

same remark as Tim P, the 5th a little more visible will be better

will be a great painted jacket

and since i'm 13, i'm in love with Marylin :oops: