• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major's BRONCO with red silk lining

havocpaul

Interesting but with an ASC patch so not a fighter pilot unless promoted to ASC later on, deserves research.

Roughwear

havocpaul said:
Interesting but with an ASC patch so not a fighter pilot unless promoted to ASC later on, deserves research.

I was thinking the same Paul. An interesting research project for someone.

hacker

havocpaul said:

I would highly doubt that going from fighter ops to ASC would be viewed as a promotion! :lol:

Hacker

havocpaul

Wouldn't be the first promotion to Major that put someone in command of a less 'glamorous' service, quite possible IMO.

watchmanjimg

I did a quick Google search and G.J. Dettore appears to be a WW2 militaria collector. I'm not sure if this bears on the authenticity of the insignia on this jacket, but it's food for thought. I also didn't see where the jacket is claimed to have belonged to a fighter pilot, so who knows?

havocpaul

That's interesting; the listing didn't claim it to be a fighter pilot's jacket but red silk lining is thought of as sign of an 'ace' as apparently was done in the 56th FG amongst others...myth, legend or fact.

watchmanjimg

havocpaul said:
That's interesting; the listing didn't claim it to be a fighter pilot's jacket but red silk lining is thought of as sign of an 'ace' as apparently was done in the 56th FG amongst others...myth, legend or fact.

All that could be true if the jacket were patched after the war.

jacketimp

here's my take...........it's NOT a red lining.....a brown one...look at the pix......the name tag and the hide has a reddish hue....

then look at theother two pix of the jkt full frontal and back.......the brown that's 'normal.

i think it's just the photography that makes the pics look redder than they should.

if the lining is indeed red silk. it'd GLOSS....

so putting evrything in my context, not an ace jkt.....just another A2........

what say the experts.................

jacketimp

by the way check out the full frontal of the jacket.......the colour of the collar is lighter compared with the rest of the body.....possibility that the collar was a restoration piece?

unless it's lighting again.

then check out the knits.

draw your own conclusions........

best way is to have the A2 in your hands.......

Roughwear

Imp is this one of your tricks? It could simply be the light BUT I think no.The label appears to have remnants of brown lining showing on the right side. It has clearly been sewn on again as there is different lighter stitching. IMO the jacket has been re-lined at some stage, possibly even post war.

jacketimp

watchmanjimg said:
I did a quick Google search and G.J. Dettore appears to be a WW2 militaria collector. I'm not sure if this bears on the authenticity of the insignia on this jacket, but it's food for thought. I also didn't see where the jacket is claimed to have belonged to a fighter pilot, so who knows?

see my theory........ so what happens if the collector GJ Dettorre decides to have his name tag on the jkt........just like waht some our our members do.........so the jkt is original and bits and bobs were added on later.......

plausible?

c'mon you can't rule out the possibility!

jacketimp

Roughwear said:
Imp is this one of your tricks? It could simply be the light BUT I think no.The label appears to have remnants of brown lining showing on the right side. It has clearly been sewn on again as there is different lighter stitching. IMO the jacket has been re-lined at some stage, possibly even post war.

no tricks.....or treats..........it's probabilities.....

like i say the best thing is to have the A2 in your hands.......

jacketimp

watchmanjimg said:

has anyone tried the NARA records?

this imp is just too lazeee.......it's the cold...........

jacketimp

Roughwear said:

tut tut........are you thinking waht i'm thinking....

imp :twisted: ........born to play the devil's advocate??? :lol:

.....well......... :?:

Roughwear

jacketimp said:
watchmanjimg said:

see my theory........ so what happens if the collector GJ Dettorre decides to have his name tag on the jkt........just like waht some our our members do.........so the jkt is original and bits and bobs were added on later.......

plausible?

I have checked the records and guess what? He's not there. However he may have joined up prior to enlistment and was a career officer. More likely though is that Dettorre is a collector who put the name strip on himself and perhaps relined the jacket too. It makes you wonder if the patch is a later addition. :roll:

watchmanjimg

Roughwear said:
jacketimp said:
watchmanjimg said:

plausible?

I have checked the records and guess what? He's not there. However he may have joined up prior to enlistment and was a career officer. More likely though is that Dettorre is a collector who put the name strip on himself and perhaps relined the jacket too. It makes you wonder if the patch is a later addition. :roll:

None of Roughwear's findings surprise me in the slightest as I always suspected that at least some of the insignia was not original to this jacket. I wouldn't attempt to rule out this possibility because in my opinion it's shaping up to be a strong likelihood.

Stony

Assuming the lining is original, and the guy was an ace this is a very rare find.

Dettore is not an ace as I checked the "American Figher Aces" album and "Stars and Bars", the two leading books on American aces. Still a nice jacket though.

Roughwear

Stony said:
Assuming the lining is original, and the guy was an ace this is a very rare find.

Dettore is not an ace as I checked the "American Figher Aces" album and "Stars and Bars", the two leading books on American aces. Still a nice jacket though.

Stony you have confirmed our thoughts with this. The jacket has had "additions" to it since the war, most likely the lining, patches, the name strip and perhaps the knits(hard to tell though from the photos).