• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnoli Clothiers "Escape" Moto Jacket

donsom

Always liked the looks of these (not so much the standard black versions) ... so ... I bought one on eBay. A throwback to my younger days of riding motorcycle.

Says it's a 44 but the measurements seem a bit generous. Have to wait to get it to see ... :) Looks like a trade-in or resale by Aero USA for someone who wanted one of their jackets and had this one to sell. Anyone one this forum owned this before??

Just in time for spring .. albeit, it's snowing here in Ontario, Canada again for the next couple of days ...

It's the "Antiqued Cowhide" version. Here's a link to the site ... http://magnolic.ipower.com/catalog/prod ... cce6b89a1e

Now all I need to buy is a $15,000 Victory bike to go with it .... :lol:

MagnoliaJacket.jpg

Happy Hooligan

I"m not a fan of the color. I never understood making leather look like it was "Old" because new leather in a few years looks so much better... Maybe it's the camera color but it looks like it has red splotches all over it...

the jacket itself looks very nice. I like the design, but not the color...

donsom

I'll have to take some better pics when it arrives. There's a definite camera glare going on (that comes from not using a softbox or a bounce flash when taking the pics).

Or, it may just look that way anyhow. Nowhere near as "distressed" as the one in the link though. That one is EXTREME...

Looks like this one only had a mild case of "anxiety" .... :lol:

siddhartha

Administrator
I like it-I think the blotchiness is what you suspect-flare from a camera flash, and nowhere near as apparent in real life.

Let us know when you get it!

Chris

donsom

Took delivery of the jacket today.

VERY impressed with both the leather and the quality of jacket ... although the zip is not a Talon :(

The leather feels quite thick and the jacket is therefore on the heavy side. Currently, it's a bit on the "shiney" side, but that will change with wear. Additionally ... the simulated wear look (that you see in the initial image) is not as evident "in real life" ... ;)

I would say that anyone who is considering Magnoli can be quite certain that they'll get a quality jacket.

Additional pics on the way within the next days when I get the time.

Tommer45

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the jacket. I've always liked a few of Magnoli's jackets but I've never really heard anything about the quality, leathers, etc. Good to hear it's quality stuff. Get out that camera! :)

Tommer

donsom

The first pic I posted was from the eBay auction. The jacket certainly "looks" like a lighter shade that what it really appears "in person" (if that makes any sense).

1. Another eBay auction pic --
back.jpg

2. Same pic taken today --
back2.jpg

3. The leather has deep grain and is quite thick--
collar.jpg

side.jpg

4. Closer still --
grain_detail.jpg

5. Head on--
front.jpg

I'm not sure, .. could be the image levels or some tweaking in Photoshop on the initial auction images, but the jacket is really nowhere as "red" as the auction pics. I work in Photoshop on a daily basis and it looks like the dark neutrals were adjusted to bring out more red initially.

Anyhow, I'll replace these images with a few better snaps once I set up with better lighting ... and provide some "wearing it" images.

All in all, it fits just a pinch on the large side .... again, fine in the shoulders and lats ... but a bit generous in the lower midrif area (thank goodness for the side straps .... :lol:) ... but that seems like a problem that I always run into.

BTW -- this is the jacket that Kurt Russell wore in "Escape From New York - 1981" which this jacket is "based" upon.
Front...
EscapeFromNY-003.jpg

Back.
EscapeFromNY-010.jpg

Magnolia is famous in the "INDY JONES" circles. He does a lot of movie repo jackets, shirts, suits. Many people love his stuff too. I think he does a type of officer pinks also. If you have the time, I would recommend checking his site out.

asiamiles

I never really liked the jacket as worn by Kurt as Snake in John Carpenter's absolutely terrific film, but that repro actually looks really nice.

les_garten

Happy Hooligan said:
I"m not a fan of the color. I never understood making leather look like it was "Old" because new leather in a few years looks so much better... Maybe it's the camera color but it looks like it has red splotches all over it...

the jacket itself looks very nice. I like the design, but not the color...

For some reason he is able to make that Nikon Coolpix really light things up. He shoots these on his front porch and uses the fill flash, but it usually really shows contrast that may not be as prominant when you see it. Don't get me wrong, he does quite a job shooting his pix. I'm always amazed how simple a setup he uses.

Les