• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

made my own belts last night

gruvi

Hi Gents,
I recently got the buckles off ebay (boredom call it) and had the veg tanned horse lying around (another boredom purchase), and under tutelage of my friend I made my first ever belts.
I saw the sugar cane co belts online and liked how they age with wear on denim, so I tried to emulate them. I didn't make photos of my hand stitching, but it is in vain of said belts. I need to perfect the stitching in the next belts I make, but for my first try I'm pretty stoked of the outcome. On the smaller buckle belt I think I need to make a hair bigger holes. I can see how the tang is already stretching the leather in its hole and I don't like that stretched hole look.
Please let me know what you think? I would really appreciate the criticism and any advice.

gruvi

IMG_20120429_223956.jpg

IMG_20120429_224057.jpg

IMG_20120429_224149.jpg

IMG_20120430_002210.jpg

IMG_20120430_002840.jpg

gruvi

Thanks Dean. That is quite an unexpected compliment! I appreciate it! :)
I still want to do a little more to refine the belts I make down the road. Any suggestions?

gruvi

Thanks John. I never worked with leather like this and it felt good to create a useful item for myself. I can't wait to wear one today! :) I'm actually interested to learn how they age and see if I used the right leather in the end.

Steve H

Get yourself an oval shaped hole punch for the holes- I did some like that and they look ace without the "torn, stretched hole look" that we all don't want! :twisted:

Otherwise, nice job and you'll be surprised what you can make/ repair/ create with some leather and basic tools.