• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Made an Aero...

fishmeok

Hi all

I had some nice dyed seal goat and an Aero pattern so I decided to try it out...

I was alittle surprised how fun it is to try a new A-2, I've been doing nothing but Doniger for about a year now. The Aero is completely different, sleeves not sewn in, shoulder seam behind the epaulet, round collar (the collar is a "C" shape where on a Doniger it is straight. I dyed the knits red (a little too dark I think) and went for it.

I decided to do some aging to the jacket- it's about a week old...

Cheers
Mark

012.jpg

068-1.jpg

069-1.jpg

070-1.jpg

075-1.jpg

dujardin

splendidddddddddddddddddd

which therapy gave you to this jacket to 'age' the leather ???

she looks very good

congrats againnnn

better duck

Terrific Mark, both jacket and added age!
Throat clasp yet to be put on the jacket?
To my eye (on my screen) the red of the cuffs and waistband looks convincing. Besides, the colour will fade again with wear and age, won't it.

A

Anonymous

I like the color & the ageing and the kints
very nice, congrats

Chris217

I've always thought the Aero seal hide and red knits combo looked great together. Certainly one of my favorite Aero contracts. Great job Mark!

Roughwear

Excellent work Mark. You have reproduced a 1941-Aero extremely well. BTW do you buy the correct coloured lining material or dye white cotton fabric to the required shade?

fishmeok

Thanks everyone.

Once again mad props to JC for helping me with the hides and advice on the intricacies of an Aero. It really is a different beast- for example the tabs at either end of the waistband are 2 pieces, not just one pc folded over, or one long inside windflap piece folded over. You have to sew them together on the bottom, THEN sew the waistknit to the tabs. The cut is completely different from the other pattern I make, more boxy and a lttle bigger in the chest. This jacket fits a bit more like Tankbusters original 44, then his 46, (see pics below).

I still have to put the throat clasp on, for some reason that is one of my least favorite bits. I have no reason for this. Not like it's hard to do. I think I get too excited after finishing the topstiching and don't want to stop and put them on....

The lining is an insanely lucky find-it's 100% cotton in a tight weave and originally made for Dockers by a company in France. I found an entire roll (about enough for 70 or so A-2's) and snapped it up.

I'm making another one for Clarkie, and as I have no more goat it will be hand dyed horse (more correct anyway)- and a 46.

Cheers
Mark

Below is me in an original 46
IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

and a 44

OriginalAero.jpg

Mine is definately a 44....
075-1.jpg

Jason

Wow, that looks superb Mark, congratulations! The red knit Aero is my favourite of the seal dyed A-2s. Keep us updated on how it looks after a few more months of wear, perhaps over the coming northern winter?

jonnyboy

Great jacket Mark,

It really looks the part. If my jacket enterprise takes off, and starts to pay the bills, I may well be coming to you for an A-2 in the future!

Cheers,

Jon