• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M48 boots, what's a good way to rejuvenate them?

brownbanana

Hi guys, got myself a pair of these babies. Forgive me if I glossed over a boot care thread (if such a thread exists, please throw a link and I'll be on my way), but I'm just wondering if there's anything specific that can help me revive these boots.

The leather is in pretty good shape, with no real dryness or cracks except for two areas. There are significant cracks (not through the leather, just on the surface) near the toecap area, basically around the knuckles of the large and small toe on both boots. I suppose this would be common since the cracks are prevalent around where shoes/boots normally crease with wear.

So I'm wondering if there's anything specific I can use to condition the boots? Would pecard be the way to go? I see that there is a "pecard shoe oil" specifically designed for boots. Are there any other products that may be better? And while I'm at it, would it be reasonable to expect the cracks to be greatly minimized or even be totally hidden/disappear after treatment?

Thanks in advance.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I don't know what M48 boots are, but if they are regular leather, I would first condition, with a light cream type conditioner. The following day, polish with a tinted beeswax polish, you could leave a film over the cracked areas over night.

I don't like oils on leather, too much, and it won't absorb perspiration. Beeswax, I prefer over regular shoe polish, as it hardens/fills better, gives a softer shine, and does a better job of water proofing.

After that treatment, you won't see much in the way of cracking.

brownbanana

deeb7, thanks a lot for the great info!

The M48 boots are the ones that I believe replaced the M42/M43's. So aesthetically, they are basically a cross between the M42 service shoe and the paratrooper boot. Russet red & brown in color.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
brownbanana said:
... basically a cross between the M42 service shoe and the paratrooper boot. Russet red & brown in color.

They sound nice, now I want some. :cool:

kevlarg

Think Korean war combat boots David.

m1948_russet_boots_01_400.jpg

kevlarg

The sole is like that of the m43. The heel is clipped but not beveled like the ww2 paratrooper boot. The boot has a different style captoe without the perforations. There are a different number of eyelets which are also bigger on the m48. The m48 boot was not limited to paratroopers it was service wide issue.