• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M422A with nose art.

chrgod2

There are not many WW2 Navy jackets with original nose art around. Wonder if this "Felix" painting is original?

This M422 in size 40 looks decent. Interesting jacket. The cuffs are worn and mold on the lining, but strong leather and a beautiful golden collar.. Any idea of what would be a good price for this piece? :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-US-Navy-M4...72|39:1|66:2|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

401e_1.jpg

43a4_1.jpg

491a_1.jpg

5a35_1.jpg

4d25_1.jpg

STEVE S.

i would lean towards the artwork being applied post war. navy & marine corps regs were very strict about placement of patches & what was & wasn't allowed. from what i've heard, nose art wasn't allowed at all. not sure what it's worth, but would really like to have the label out of it for one of my other projects ;)

Django

STEVE S. said:
i would lean towards the artwork being applied post war. navy & marine corps regs were very strict about placement of patches & what was & wasn't allowed. from what i've heard, nose art wasn't allowed at all. not sure what it's worth, but would really like to have the label out of it for one of my other projects ;)

Regulations said it was not allowed but there definitely are examples of Marine and Navy nose art in the SWP.

Hellcats...

grum889F6F-5FalalopIsjunglestripnos.jpg

PB4Y-2...

b24navalbody.jpg

pb4y1lluckref.jpg

Crew%202%20(E).jpg

jeroen

You're absolutely right, I even have a picture of a jacket with nose art on it. But in general you can say that nose art on navy jackets is extremely rare. I mean; how many navy jackets have you ever seen with original nose art on it? Its that and the combination with a very sought after navy squadron that make this jacket very suspect.
Another thing is the ageing of the picture. Compared to original ones on (a-2's) that looks also a little different, wouldt you say? I mean, what you normally see is cracking and chipping of the paint with bold patches appearing but here the whole picture just faded like its wiped with a thinner soaked cloth...
Well, this is off course just my 2 cents worth but I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole.

Django

I am certainly no expert on the jackets. That's one reason I joined, so I could learn to spot the reproductions from the real thing.

My buddy Sean (who helped me paint Ol 927) has a genuine painted A-2 and it looks fake to me. And there was a 20th AF suitcase that was painted up on ebay last month that sure looked real to me, and he swore it was fake. It also sold for $900.

TMB

A late reply but I've only just (re)joined the forum.

Very likely to be fake. Firstly its extremely suspect that the fur collar is original - its just to bright blond, originals are never this light in colour - and second Ed Church 422a jackets had brown or bronze coloured linings, not the usual salmon. Therefore the lining and probably fur are new - the same age as the art I suspect. It successfully established its task however, increasing the sale price three times beyond its real value!