• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M422a Knits

JimmyD51

Quick questions. Were any original M422a jackets made with A2 style knits or were the all the single ply rib-rack style? If so, what contract and or manufacturer used the 2-ply style?

Thanks in advance.

Brettafett

All original M-422as and early G-1s had the single ply rib-rack type (not accounting for later knit replacements).
2 ply only found its way into later issue G-1s
(happy to be corrected)

Edit: Having a brief convo with Mr Sheeley about this, it appears that some AN jackets had the 2 ply knit.
Also quite possibly one of the M-422A contracts did also. This guy is an encyclopaedia of USN jackets!
So, as always with these original pre-war & war jackets, there's no hard-and-fast rule.

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

A-2 style waist knits started to to be found on later issue C-series G-1 contracts, at around 1965. My Original C-series J-7823 has A-2 type (double ply) waits knit. I am pretty certain that these are original to the jacket. Happy to be corrected too!

Last edited:

Brettafett

Yeah, all the M-422As and 'early' G-1s Ive seen (at least in original condition, ie not revamped) had the single ply knit.
But Im no expert on Navy jackets and someone like Dave, who's been around, inside & out these jackets for a very long time, knows about as much or more as anyone alive.

As with any of these jackets, you can settle on one thing and sooner or later an original showing the opposite will pop up ;)

Chandler

Yeah, all the M-422As and 'early' G-1s Ive seen (at least in original condition, ie not revamped) had the single ply knit.
According to JC on the GW site, the Bogen & Tannenbaum AN-6552 had a fold-over, double-weight waist band. But it may have been the only manufacturer using it.

My AN (6552, J-3a, take your pick) doesn't have the spec tag anymore, but definitely has the single-ply waist.