• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M422A/AN Colors

SteveN

I've been wondering about the shadings of these earlier models, and the early G-1's. I think the spec called for 'seal', but some examples appear to have a distinctly russet tone. E.g.

as well as some that I've seen here in various threads.

Did this vary by contract, or individual example? I like the USN patterns and prefer as russet as possible, without making an obvious 'mistake'. Just how far toward a russet shade has been seen in real examples?

mulceber

Color totally varied between different contracts, and even within contracts. In general though, the M-422(a) series was a bit lighter than later jacket makes. If you’re interested in the lightest-colored Navy jacket you can get while maintaining accuracy, the Edmund T. Church M-422a is your best bet, or close to it.
31C5FE0E-1B20-403E-AA09-7474F4558B01.jpeg

STEVE S.

My lightest is the W&G, next lightest my Block. My Church is pretty dark, almost in the same range as my Ostermann & G&F.
I think it had more to do with the different processes used at the various tanneries vs something the manufacturers did.