• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M422/M422a related question

Maverickson

Hi All,

From the March 28, 1940 USN M-422 spec sheet.

1676653044796.png

Map pocket from my size 38 Switilik
Switlik Labia Map Pocket .jpg

Switlik Closed Map Pocket.jpg

My size 38 Switlik is in amazing all original condition.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Maverickson

So it does have the hidden snap!

I have 4 variations of the G-1 (one repro) and the snap on the inside pocket is uncovered on all of them.

Yes, the map or inside pocket snaps are hidden. It is quite a unique design.

Likewise each of the three M-422 makers interpreted the M-422 specs for their jackets overall design completely different from one maker to the other.

The USN was obviously very lenient because the specs were always roughly followed. Case in point, both the color & diameter of the silk thread was specified but never completely followed.

I know because I have been inside of each M-422 (W&G, Monarch and Switlik) maker's jackets.

Cheers, Dave

Erwin

Lovely grouping
Thanks a lot, have as well early/mid 70's Brill Bros [hope so, it doesn't have a tag, but it appears to be a jacket from this manufacturer] and a civilian G1 from Schott. I use to collect early production M65 jackets but after getting the initial contracts nothing was left on the "hunting" list. Collecting is one thing, having or looking for information like historical references regarding the development is a completely different story. Switching to collecting flight jackets is a great hobby, but time and unfortunately money consuming.

YoungMedic

Good to know that forum folks had agreed to not post thumbnail pictures, It really makes sense, so sorry for this mess. I will remember about proper post-editing. Thanks!
52693005323_6f951e4433_b.jpg
Great looking group! I'd love to see the detail on the P-3 patch. Welcome!

Erwin

Hey Tim,
52696360248_64a39cf0cb_b.jpg

52695869396_68caf08200_b.jpg

Like you asked about the patch. Jacket was purchased directly from the veteran's family member - half the price went to the veteran's foundation. I'd like to not disclose any details regarding this aviator. I got information that during WW2 he was in USAF [heavy bombers] and then went to USN. I believe the patch is an early production run from 1962. There was a nice grouping of USN black deck caps, personal letters, and USN Zippos's lighters from the same person.