• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-65 Article

johnwayne

Ironic post as I’ve been thinking and looking at an M65 for a while now but, quite simply I already have more than enough jackets and no more room in the wardrobes, hence the dithering but there’s plenty of options other than Alpha and its yet another military style the ‘High St’ shops have copied.
So far, 2xVarsity, 3xA2’s, 2xG1’s, Tanker, B10, A1, M421, Hartman, 2xBarbour, 3xG9 Harringtons plus various others like Levi denim!! Storage prob why I’ve kept my distance from shearling jackets too even though I’d love a B3/6!!!

Chandler

I wore a 70s OD M-65 through high school and most of college (amazing to fit 2 cans of beer in each pocket), but I grew out of it.

I bought an 80s camo version for paintball back in the mid-90s and have grown out of that one, too... in the opposite direction. :confused:

Would love an older OD like my first one, but don't really need it.

Anyone got a medium OD they'd like to trade for a large camo? ;)

MikeyB-17

I’ve got three, none of them a genuine one. I have a black one somewhere, and an Abercrombie and Fitch which is really battered and looks great-although my wife hates it. Recently I found a pretty much new one in a charity shop by Superdry, a British high street company who do some half reasonable stuff, classic designs, sometimes military, then plaster it in faux Japanese script and silly badges, which I usually avoid. However this is a really nice modern take on the M-65, with a fleece lining, very comfortable and practical, and thankfully someone had the good taste to remove the Superdry badge from the arm. I grabbed it as a beater, and for £25 I’m well pleased with it. They’re charging £95 for one in the shops.

Chandler

I’ve seen pictures of guys in SF base camps in the Central Highlands wearing them.
At night?

Like to see some examples, but it still doesn't hold up the claim it was "made for soldiers in Vietnam."*

*"This legendary versatility was born from the jacket’s origins as a uniform made for US soldiers fighting in the unforgiving territory of Vietnam."

Last edited:

B-Man2

Kind of a late entry in this thread but for whatever it’s worth I can tell you guys that the m-65 jacket was a standard issued cold weather jacket for all troops in boot camp in a cold weather environment. The jacket was retained by the soldier as part of his kit.
That’s probably the case of how they showed up in Vietnam . One of the tricks used by many was to take the m-65 liner out of the jacket and to wear it under your combat fatigue shirt. It kept you warm without all the bulk of wearing the jacket .

B-Man2

Can you send a couple through PM?

Although, the liners being from an M-65 would keep it on topic in this thread.
I can but it’s going to take me a couple of days to dig them out of storage . I’ll have them to you by Monday .
BTW it was standard practice to wear them that way by the Ranger Battalion guys . If you know anyone who was a Ranger he can corroborate what I telling you .

Last edited:

Chandler

I can but it’s going to take me a couple of days to dig them out of storage . I’ll have them to you by Monday .
BTW it was standard practice to wear them that way by the Ranger Battalion guys . If you know anyone who was a Ranger he can corroborate what I telling you .
No hurry -- just interested to see.

Only Vietnam vets I know (knew) were army grunts and Air Force MP.