• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-51 Liner...White Side In or Out?

Atticus

Quick question: I finally found an XL liner for my three M-51s...they will all have to share it. But does the liner's white stuff face against the wearer...or toward the shell of the jacket?

AF

watchmanjimg

Geoff, I'm sure it was worn both ways but the correct method has the fleece away from the wearer. Don't believe me? Try it the other way while wearing short sleeves. :lol:

By the way, congrats on the score. I imagine the liner wasn't easy to find in the larger size.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Mine had the white loopy nylon like liner, and was fitted white side out. I remember trying to fit it the other way, and deciding that it was correct the way it was. Although it felt scratchy to the touch, it was fine when worn.

Tim P

I think they are buttoned with the white side showing in error, although I always wore mine that way, very 'quadrophenia' :)
..Heres my take..

The white side would soil quickly next to the wearer.

If soiled the sheen side would wipe clean more easily than the white.

The pilling is there to trap air, this it will do more effectively between two windproof layers ie the shell and the nylon facing

The sheen side will naturally slide over mid layers rather than the tendency of the white side to snag thus aiding mobility.

Camouflage if ever opened in an operational enironment.

I suspect that the troops who used them would have exercised personal preference ;)

Atticus

The pilling is there to trap air, this it will do more effectively between two windproof layers ie the shell and the nylon facing

The sheen side will naturally slide over mid layers rather than the tendency of the white side to snag thus aiding mobility.
Thanks, all!

When I was in high school, I wore my M-51 liner white side out. But back then I was a carefree hippie who knew nothing about military jackets except that they had really big pockets. Now, I'm a jacket collector, and a member of VLJ, and I compulse about such things as proper field jacket liner orientation. Two of the things Tim mentioned had occurred to me, too, so I'm feeling like the white stuff ought to be worn against the shell of the jacket.

Jim, during the last three or four years that I've been looking for M-51s, I've seen only four decent ones in XL and I bought three of them. I've seen only one M-51 liner in XL, the one I just bought.

AF