• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-51 field jacket

Peter Graham

I picked up this nearly unused M-51 a few weeks back as a general knockabout jacket as my trusty M-65 is just about done and I thought something more vintage would be nice. What I'm curious about is the patches. There is very little on the net regarding Korean era jackets but what I did find out is that most M-51's were used in Vietnam. Does anyone know what era the patches are from ? They are definately military applied. I've seen 1st Cav patches in bright yellow or subdued but this one I would describe as semi-subdued. I guess the eppulette patches are Captains bars but again I've never seen any like this. The winged patch is a parachutists badge but from what era ? Can anyone help ?
M-51001.jpg

M-51003.jpg

M-51002.jpg

a2 fng

Nice warrant officers M51.
M51s were used side by side with M65s until stocks were used up.

Old sweats preferred the M51s over the M65s as they are a smarter jkt so tried to keep hold of them at all costs.

Have a couple of nice M51s myself including one with an Aircav patch exactly as the one shown(will have to try to find it to check the date)

I also wondered about the patch as its more of a gold colour than the yellow ones i usualy see.

A few years ago even nice unbadged M51s were going for around £50 here in the UK(as were nice Nam dated M65s)but prices have dropped a lot lately which is a shame.

Pretty sure all M51s i have are Nam dated

Peter Graham

a2 fng said:
I don't know enough to date this jacket. All labels are intact but no dates marked. The labels are white cotton as opposed to the labels stencilled directly to the liner as other M-51's I've seen. The zipper is a Conmar. My M-65 has a Scovill. Is this a clue to date the jacket ?

Vcruiser

I was issued an M65 entering the Army in 1970(during Nam). The name strips were exactly as on your jacket. However..by then...all rank and patches were subdued on fatigues or any clothing used in the field. It was rare as hens teeth to see anyone wearing a M51...or find one in supply. Luckily the day that I was processing out of the Army at Ft. Knox,KY(1972)...the supply sarge(who knew I had been looking for one)surprized me with a mint M51 in my size. All I had to do was trade my M65 for it.
He also told me that he hadn't seen any "new" M51s issued since at latest the early/mid '60s....although on very rare occassion a well used M51 would show up in supply. I don't know where he came across the one he gave me..but it was sure a surprise.
Van

Vcruiser

Peter Graham said:
Thanks for the info Van, very interesting. Have you still got the jacket ?

No,Peter
On my return to HoosierLand...I wore it out as a Hippy...washed it....faded it...and even put a psychedelic tatoo on the back. Kids,huh...!
RollingStone

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
a2 fng said:
I don't know enough to date this jacket. All labels are intact but no dates marked. The labels are white cotton as opposed to the labels stencilled directly to the liner as other M-51's I've seen. The zipper is a Conmar. My M-65 has a Scovill. Is this a clue to date the jacket ?

Peter:

That's a great jacket you found! The white-label M51s are the later versions, issued in the early '60s just before the M65 was standardized. Some of the very latest examples are made of a nylon-cotton blend like the M65, and are therefore less susceptible to fraying at the collar and cuffs than the earlier cotton jackets. It would not have been uncommon to see M51s worn alongside M65s through the '60s, although as Van pointed out they were getting more rare by 1970. The insignia on your jacket appears consistent with the style of the later '60s, which suggests that the original owner served in Vietnam. The Warrant Officer rank and pilot's wings appear to be of non-US manufacture, although not necessarily Vietnam-produced. It's possible that the insignia were obtained in Germany prior to the wearer being assigned to Vietnam. Regarding the shade of the 1st Cav patch, it could simply be a variant but I've also seen early attempts at dyeing unit patches to mute their bright colors.

In any case this is a fantastic jacket and I hope you enjoy it!

a2 fng

Peter Graham said:
a2 fng said:

Is there no DSA marking on the label?

a2 fng

tcwu said:
Here is my M-51 L-L.
It was NOS but I washed it.
I had a S-R but trade it.
Both jackets are with CROWN zipper.
Yours may be is later production/mixed with M-65
I had M-43 before so I like earlier M-65...
Probably keep this M-51 for his Crown zipper!
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Nice jkt-dated 1962

Peter Graham

Peter Graham said:
a2 fng said:
Is there no DSA marking on the label?
Maybe I've missed something. I will check when I get home tomorrow.
There is, but there is no date. It reads, DSA-1-8297. Any ideas ? By the way guys, this has been an M-51 crash course for me. Many thanks for all the info.

watchmanjimg

Peter:

I don't know the exact contract date, but I'm thinking it's around 1964 due to the later concave buttons used on this jacket.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
... but I'm thinking it's around 1964 due to the later concave buttons used on this jacket.

90-00-2224-3.jpg

M1951 Field Coat/FY1965/DSA-1-8297

Mash Japan

Tim P

my examples are dated 58 and are smarter by far in my opinion than the m65. They are truly a nam era jacket as the Korean armistice was good and signed before they appeared in numbers (as for all M51 series clothing except the 'ranger' cap)
I always equate full colour tapes with this jacket although subdued (or a mix) is entirely within what you can expect.
If you are going back in time Peter, an M50 will be next.....
Tim

Peter Graham

Tim P said:
If you are going back in time Peter, an M50 will be next.....
Tim
I guess so. I have a 41, a 43, a 65 and now a 51. What's the spec of the 50. Are they pretty rare ? I can't recall ever seeing one for sale.