• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-51...Even A Blind Hog Finds An Acorn Once In A While

Atticus

Being a fat-boy, I hardly ever get to share really cool scores with y'all. Its usually kinda difficult for the XL crowd to find good vintage stuff on e-bay...or anywhere for that matter.

But not today....today, I get to be a player. :D

So when was the last time any of y'all saw a size XL M-51? Look...I know the word "mint" is way over used, so I won't use it. But this size XL, 1953, M-51 is darned close to what some here would call mint. I bought it on e-bay and it just arrived today. The jacket was sorta poorly listed and the seller's photos were marginal...so I got it for the opening bid.

But check it out, there's almost no wear around the cuffs or hem. The zipper is in excellent condition. The nomenclature printed on the shell is bold and very legible. The snaps and buttons are all original and all work as new. Hell...the waist drawstring even retains its plastic tips. Other than a few small stains on the shell...probably from storage...I can't find anything wrong with this old girl.

Now the liner is a different story. It is not the right size for the jacket...a medium long...and it has seen some service. While it is still usable, I'm gonna have to be on the lookout for a size large, or in the best of worlds, an XL liner. What the hell, I like to wear field jackets with hoodies, anyhow.

spookyeyes014-1.jpg

spookyeyes001-1-1.jpg

spookyeyes003-1.jpg

spookyeyes004-1.jpg

spookyeyes006-1-1.jpg

spookyeyes005-1.jpg

spookyeyes008-1.jpg

spookyeyes009-1-1.jpg

AF

Tim P

oh looky look!
top rate. My M51 never really gets used but houses my name on a vintage nametape.. result.

deand

Great catch you made there! Nice to see someone so happy! Nothing beats one of those one-of-a-kind-finds.

dean

Andrew

Great looking jacket Geoff, not something i'd get away with but I just love the look of new old army gear.

Looking a little Gene Hackman there Mate... :cool:

Maverickson

Hi Geoff,

Spoken like a true Carolininian! That jacket looks like a great find and I'll be on the lookout for that correct sized lining.

Cheers, Dave

fishmeok

Just picked one up too, a large long. It's in unissued condition, I was surprised at how nice it is. I really like the design of the M-1943 and 51 field jackets, great look. Unfortunately it's a little on the long side (go figure) I'm 6' and it's as long as the winter parka on me. Anyone want to trade for a large?
Cheers
Mark

CompDown1214.jpg

CompDown1212.jpg

CompDown1211.jpg

CompDown1215.jpg

CompDown1216.jpg

CompDown1217.jpg

Tim P

Mine may be a large regular.. Its not unissued but its pretty damn good. If you want to discuss trade I can fish it out and describe it better. at just over six two it may be a better fit on me.

Atticus

Tim P said:
I dont need another or this one would be of interest...

http://cgi.ebay.com/M-51-FIELD-JACKET-A ... 5ad5ddcc90
Thanks, Tim, but I'm in the same boat. Since I bought the jacket in my first post above, I've bought yet another 1953 M-51...my third. In fact, since I've been looking, and including the jacket in your link, I've only found four X-large regular M-51s...and I've bought three of them!

The most recent jacket has original Vietnam-era patches, including a subdued "horse blanket" and 2nd Lt. bars. Except for some wear around the cuffs, its in very good shape and has become my everyday "wearer".

AF