• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-445 Mint Flight Jacket - Original or Reproduction?

Kt7

I’m cleaning out my father's closet and found a beautifully preserved Bu Aero- U.S. Navy M445 Winter jacket, size 38. It’s in excellent condition with Scovill zip front. It has a one inch minor surface scratch on the back but otherwise it’s impeccable. No stains or tears and leather is soft. I’d like to see this jacket get into the hands of someone who can really appreciate it. Any suggestions how to go about selling this beauty?

How can I tell if this is original or reproduction? My deceased uncle owned the jacket so I don't have any additional information.

This jacket hasn't seen the light of day since the 1960's. I even found a few 60's coins in the pocket!

Best,
Katy

PS. I also found a very cool mint vintage motorcycle riding jacket from the 50's that I'll post in another thread.

Attachments

• IMG_0697.jpeg
    IMG_0697.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0701.jpeg
    IMG_0701.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0698.jpeg
    IMG_0698.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0696.jpeg
    IMG_0696.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0694.jpeg
    IMG_0694.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0700.jpeg
    IMG_0700.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Hi Katy!

Welcome to the forum!
That is a nice jacket, although most likely is a repro from the 80's-90's. You can try posting the measurements (pit to pit, sleeve, shoulders, back length), that might be helpful for the potential buyers here. Also, you can try posting on ebay and some Fb groups. GLWYS!

Regards,
Jorge

Kt7

Hi Katy!

Welcome to the forum!
That is a nice jacket, although most likely is a repro from the 80's-90's. You can try posting the measurements (pit to pit, sleeve, shoulders, back length), that might be helpful for the potential buyers here. Also, you can try posting on ebay and some Fb groups. GLWYS!

Regards,
Jorge

Hello Jorge,

Thank you for the feedback! Do you know of any reputable sellers in Los Angeles that could take a look at it in person? How do you distinguish between an original and repro? I'd keep it if it wasn't too big for me. It's really beautiful and warm!

Measurements:
26 Armpit to Armpit
20 Shoulder to Shoulder
24.5 Shoulder to Cuff
26 Back - Under collar to bottom seam

Thanks again!
Katy

B-Man2

Hi Katy
Your jacket is a repro as Jorge has advised . It’s a good repro as it was made by Willis and Geiger a manufacturer that actually made those types of jackets during the war . The only question that comes to mind is that while the jacket is marked at a size 38, the measurements you listed are closer to those of a size 44 or 46 . If you are looking to sell your jacket this would be a good place, as all of us are into military flight jackets or vintage jackets . The hiccup is that we have a rule that you must be on the forum for a certain length of time before you can sell a jacket . However , there a work around that you can do by having a potential buyer PM you with his contact info and go outside of the forum and conduct the sale. So I hope that answers you questions and good luck with whatever you choose to do with the jacket.
On another note we always like to hear about veterans military stories, so if you have one that you’d like to share with us about your dads service or the group he was with, please feel free to post it.
Regards

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

The zipper is the first indicator (modern Scovill) and also the design of the jacket is slightly different to the original WWII version. This is a pic of a WWII W&G 87669, so you can compare to yours. Nevertheless, yours is a nice jacket.
Also here is the website of W&G with their reproductions (scroll down and you will find the same M-445).
3B05964B-B804-44FA-9465-48832E49F4F8.jpeg

Last edited:

daw

Definitely a W&G repro, probably from the late 80's. I've got one just like it but bigger. I paid about $425 for mine in excellent condition, and seen others sell in that ballpark. I would expect its value to be around that figure, likely not more than $500 even if it's in really good shape.

Great jacket, very warm and comfortable. Maybe not the most accurate repro but good enough for 99% of the population.

Kt7

Definitely a W&G repro, probably from the late 80's. I've got one just like it but bigger. I paid about $425 for mine in excellent condition, and seen others sell in that ballpark. I would expect its value to be around that figure, likely not more than $500 even if it's in really good shape.

Great jacket, very warm and comfortable. Maybe not the most accurate repro but good enough for 99% of the population.

Kt7

I’m not looking to make quick money. I’m inquiring to make sure that something historically valuable isn’t overlooked. Thank you for your guidance.

Kt7

Hi Katy
Your jacket is a repro as Jorge has advised . It’s a good repro as it was made by Willis and Geiger a manufacturer that actually made those types of jackets during the war . The only question that comes to mind is that while the jacket is marked at a size 38, the measurements you listed are closer to those of a size 44 or 46 . If you are looking to sell your jacket this would be a good place, as all of us are into military flight jackets or vintage jackets . The hiccup is that we have a rule that you must be on the forum for a certain length of time before you can sell a jacket . However , there a work around that you can do by having a potential buyer PM you with his contact info and go outside of the forum and conduct the sale. So I hope that answers you questions and good luck with whatever you choose to do with the jacket.
On another note we always like to hear about veterans military stories, so if you have one that you’d like to share with us about your dads service or the group he was with, please feel free to post it.
Regards

Kt7

B-Man2,
I’m sorry, my measurements may be off.I did my best. I’m not a seamstress.
thank you for your guidance!

Kt7

The zipper is the first indicator (modern Scovill) and also the design of the jacket is slightly different to the original WWII version. This is a pic of a WWII W&G 87669, so you can compare to yours. Nevertheless, yours is a nice jacket.
Also here is the website of W&G with their reproductions (scroll down and you will find the same M-445).
View attachment 69225
Excellent information! I really appreciate your insight!