• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-422A with odd nameplate

bazelot

I just purchased another M-422A named to a pilot. What puzzles me is the AMM on the nametag before the USNR. Any idea what it stands for.
THe jacket is a Willis and Geiger in really good condition. Leather is perfect, there is a beautiful dark brown painted triple marked Talon zipper (never seen one brown painted before especially on a Willis and Geiger. It needs new cuffs and anew collar and will be an excellent wearer (even though I do not wear my M-422As anymore. I will post pics as soon as I take them. It is also a huge size 44.

Nametag.jpg

bazelot

PENSACOLA said:
jack aranda said:
American Merchant Marine?

Different entity.

The words you have there (bazelot) sir: Aviation Machinist's Mate (AMM).

Would love to see the full jacket. ;)

Fly Navy!

Aviation Machinist's Mate were not pilots as far as I know.

bazelot said:
PENSACOLA said:
jack aranda said:
American Merchant Marine?

Different entity.

The words you have there (bazelot) sir: Aviation Machinist's Mate (AMM).

Would love to see the full jacket. ;)

Fly Navy!

Aviation Machinist's Mate were not pilots as far as I know.

Correct, but they were part of the Aircrew...

Pilot wings--probably an homage as an AC if not a pilot. However, if you can PM me with the full name of the person on that "tag," I'll make some calls to get you some answers from some colleagues in Pensacola.

A

Anonymous

Well there were plenty of enlisted pilots... but their official rate was N.A. P. for Naval Aviation Pilot. Last one retired in 1980.

If he was a Aviation Machinist Mate and aircrew, he would be wearing Navy Air Crew wings, not pilot wings.

I think AMM might be a specific department or div. on a naval air station or squadron?

US Merchant Marine / no such animal as American Merchant Marine, as far as I know?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Finished flight school in the summer of l94l as AMM first class naval aviation pilot and was assigned to VP,73 in Newfoundland. which was on neutrality ...

Enlisted naval aviation pilots
By Harold H. Kelly, William A. Riley, Silver Eagles Association

dujardin

found on BLUEJACKET.COM
Navy rating (list)

AMM aviation machinist's mate (1921-1948)

byeeeeee marcel

bazelot

deeb7 said:
Finished flight school in the summer of l94l as AMM first class naval aviation pilot and was assigned to VP,73 in Newfoundland. which was on neutrality ...

So is that a designation for enlisted pilots pre war?

A

Anonymous

Sounds to me he was an AMM prior to attending NAP training. I am not 100% but I thought once you pass NAP training your offical Navy Rating becomes NAP?

So, he was an AMM, attented NAP school and was a pilot. Very cool. VLJ CSI at work.

A

Anonymous

bazelot said:
deeb7 said:

So is that a designation for enlisted pilots pre war?

NAP's flew from WW1 through the Viet nam war. The last NAP retired in 1981. (National Museum of Naval Aviation)

NAP's served in the USN,USMC, and USCG.

"So, he was an AMM, attented NAP school and was a pilot. Very cool. VLJ CSI at work."

Yup, thought that was the right info I listed at first in regards to "AMM"...but I'm going to check further for bazelot.