• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-422a on PBY Pilots & Crew February 1942

oose

Hi all first of New Year. Thought I'd post these as they are nice early shots of M-422a taken in Jackonsville Florida February 1942. Any M-422 here?

Plus one other non M-422 from the same series

All the Best
stu

deand

Great pictures as always, Stu. Thank you for taking the time to find and post them.

dean

A

Anonymous

Just wondering if any of the original contracts on these jackets had a dark collar as opposed to the honey brown color I so often see. Sorry for the ignorance but don't know that much about M-422a, AND ANJ-3-A JACKETS.

dujardin

hello Stu

many thanks for this (again) brilliant photo report
really neat pics, i appreciate

marcel

Great pictures! Interesting that some of them are either Midshipmen or Aviation Cadets. Especially with the PBY in the background. I would think that they would be around training aircraft if they had not received their wings yet. I wonder what the story is with that :?:

dilbert

Treetopflyer said:
Great pictures! Interesting that some of them are either Midshipmen or Aviation Cadets. Especially with the PBY in the background. I would think that they would be around training aircraft if they had not received their wings yet. I wonder what the story is with that :?:

I believe the PBY's were used in the Training Command as advanced trainers. I know for sure the old PBM's were used in advanced training in Corpus Christi in the 1950's as I remember watching them doing touch and goes in the bay as a child. The PBM's were, at that time, being phased out and replaced with the P-5M Mariners and the older PBM's were relegated to a training role. It was normal for the Navy to use older versions of a fleet aircraft for advanced training. I flew Grumman S-2's (designated TS-2A's) in Corpus at a time when S-2's were still very active in the fleet. The TS-2A was used as an advanced multi-engine trainer at the time.

zoomer

The non-'422 being worn by Ens. Rowe is an M-444, the lighter-weight version of the much better known M-445.

Cats up to PBY-5 were not amphibian. The -5A, in 1939, was the first with retractable gear.
The others had to have external "beaching gear" fitted to be usable on land. Perhaps they were the training ships.
htmlimport_hist04.jpg

zoomer

Another thing. Is there any way to tell an early '422 from a '422A without seeing that pencil pocket arrangement? I don't think so. It's not like one was amphibian and the other wasn't. :lol: