• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-422A Gordon & Ferguson (original)

Kermit3D

This summer, I had time on my hands + a PC with internet access, which was the winning combo for getting a new jacket, even though I had absolutely no plans to do so.
Strangely enough, I've never really been interested in Navy jackets. I already have enough temptations with USAAF/RAF/Luft stuff...

I came across a few photos of G1 (the person responsible will recognize himself) that caught my eye. I started asking around, reading the excellent post about USN jackets, and it all happened very quickly (I feel like I'm at the psychologist's... :rolleyes:).

I decided I needed a G1...
... then I realized that an original Vietnam War G1 was pretty affordable, so I might as well go for an original.
... then I said to myself that if I only had one G1, why not look for an old Korean War model.
... then I received a PM saying "hey look at this M-422a" (the person in charge will recognize himself again ;)).
And here I am with an original Gordon & Ferguson M-422A ! And I regret nothing !

It's the only original WW2 jacket I own (except for a 30's-40's cyclist jacket) and I have to say it's gorgeous, it almost looks like a GW (kidding) ;). It's always fun to imagine what condition this jacket was used in during the war.
The goat leather is superb, very supple and it feels very solid. The knits need some care, but for the moment I don't plan to replace them. Overall, the jacket is in very good condition.

It's a size 42. The jacket is surprisingly long, which seems to be a feature of the M-422a compared to the G-1. Moreover, "Gordon & Ferguson" is known for making long jackets. At first I was a bit confused by this (I'm used to cyclist jackets), but I've got used to it and it seems to match the vintage fit. What do you think ?

To sum up, it was a bit of a hasty purchase, but I'm very happy with it.
I'd like to thank Silver Surfer for his kindness, it was a real pleasure doing business with him.

I'll take photos of the details in daylight as soon as I have time.
In the meantime, here are some fitpics :

pano_LD.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

JonnyCrow

This summer, I had time on my hands + a PC with internet access, which was the winning combo for getting a new jacket, even though I had absolutely no plans to do so.
Strangely enough, I've never really been interested in Navy jackets. I already have enough temptations with USAAF/RAF/Luft stuff...

I came across a few photos of G1 (the person responsible will recognize himself) that caught my eye. I started asking around, reading the excellent post about USN jackets, and it all happened very quickly (I feel like I'm at the psychologist's... :rolleyes:).

I decided I needed a G1...
... then I realized that an original Vietnam War G1 was pretty affordable, so I might as well go for an original.
... then I said to myself that if I only had one G1, why not look for an old Korean War model.
... then I received a PM saying "hey look at this M-422a" (the person in charge will recognize himself again ;)).
And here I am with an original Gordon & Ferguson M-422A ! And I regret nothing !

It's the only original WW2 jacket I own (except for a 30's-40's cyclist jacket) and I have to say it's gorgeous, it almost looks like a GW (kidding) ;). It's always fun to imagine what condition this jacket was used in during the war.
The goat leather is superb, very supple and it feels very solid. The knits need some care, but for the moment I don't plan to replace them. Overall, the jacket is in very good condition.

It's a size 42. The jacket is surprisingly long, which seems to be a feature of the M-422a compared to the G-1. Moreover, "Gordon & Ferguson" is known for making long jackets. At first I was a bit confused by this (I'm used to cyclist jackets), but I've got used to it and it seems to match the vintage fit. What do you think ?

To sum up, it was a bit of a hasty purchase, but I'm very happy with it.
I'd like to thank Silver Surfer for his kindness, it was a real pleasure doing business with him.

I'll take photos of the details in daylight as soon as I have time.
In the meantime, here are some fitpics :

View attachment 121053

View attachment 121055
Beautiful jacket Kermit, like you I now only own one original and found a good fit, congrats

Kermit3D

OMG, Kermit, it's a great fit! Excellent purchase!

This is partly your fault... and I thank you for that ! :D

Some detail photos please ;)

As soon as I have a bit of time, maybe Sunday, I'll take some photos of the details in (indirect) daylight. :)

That would fit me really well ;)

Yes, that's for sure ! :D

Yeah, I wouldn't replace the knits. If you know someone who knits, or has experience repairing garments, I'd just inquire about darning the knits. They're still in good condition.
You can buy worsted wool on the bobbin, most knits are worsted

My mother saw my M-422a the other day. She offered to take care of the knitting... she's actually quite good at it and has already repaired sweaters with holes in the elbows. The result was very good. I don't know anything about knitting, but I wonder if she couldn't do it if she chose the right wool yarn.
Is this something a non-professional could do ?

mulceber

This is partly your fault... and I thank you for that ! :D
I’m very proud of my part in this. Even showed the post to @Nnatalie this morning! :D
My mother saw my M-422a the other day. She offered to take care of the knitting... she's actually quite good at it and has already repaired sweaters with holes in the elbows. The result was very good. I don't know anything about knitting, but I wonder if she couldn't do it if she chose the right wool yarn.
Is this something a non-professional could do ?
Absolutely. Natalie fixed the knits on my United Sheeplined and she did a wonderful job.

dinomartino1

Great fit in the body, I know what you mean all my jackets seem to long now compared to my french cyclists, remember how you were worried yours was too short when you got it.
As your tall and slim it can be hard to get a jacket that does not too baggy but that fit is good as you are going to get, your lucky to get one one on that fits so well on your first go with a usn jacket.