• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-422 or G-1 ??? (war time or post war)

NickG

Is this an M-422 or a G-1? In other words war time or post war?

Its being offered to me for $95 bucks... but the size is small...(non wearable...value?)
The pocket flaps are pointed, the mutton fur collar is pointed and it has a USN stencil...
Those are good signs for it to be ww2, right? Not wearable but good for a display.
Thoughts?

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
NickG said:
Its being offered to me for $95 bucks... but the size is small...(non wearable...value?)
The pocket flaps are pointed, the mutton fur collar is pointed and it has a USN stencil...
Those are good signs for it to be ww2, right? Not wearable but good for a display.
Thoughts?

The war finished toward the end of the AN6552 (AN-J-3A) series, 55J14 all had stencils, and their use continued into the 7823 series G-1's ... It's not a M-422, but I guess if it's for display, no ones's going to argue.

NickG

deeb7 said:
NickG said:
Thoughts?

The war finished toward the end of the AN6552 (AN-J-3A) series, 55J14 all had stencils, and their use continued into the 7823 series G-1's ... It's not a M-422, but I guess if it's for display, no ones's going to argue.

Thanks David
So its not a G-1 (or war time M-422 equivalent) but rather an AN6552 (=AN-J3-A) late war, is that what you're saying?
So is it war time or not? (I'm not familiar with 55J14 spec...)
and is $95 bucks worth it?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
NickG said:
Thanks David
So its not a G-1 (or war time M-422 equivalent) but rather a AN-J3-A (late war), is that what you're saying?
So is it war time or not? (I'm not familiar with 55J14 spec...)
and is $95 bucks worth it?

Unless one of the resident experts can pick up on some detail, I'm saying that no one can say with any certainty from those pictures, but that my guess would be post war.

Variations in patterns are more between makers, than the different specs. AN6552 ... 55J14 ... 7823.

$95.00 .... sure. ;)

NickG

Thanks David. I received a PM from John (buzzthetower) stating that it's definitely a Cagleco G-1, made in the 7823 series...
So that means its post war I take it...

Curahee

If it was an ANJ-3A or an AN-6552 it would only have an US stencil. If I'm not mistaken it also has a later type of zipper found on the 7823A series (made of nickel?), maybe a replacement from the early sixties ?