• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-241A equivalent for Army flyers?

pipvh

A quick question for the historians:

Did Army pilots in the Pacific have an equivalent light-weight jacket to the M-241A, or did they mostly use the A4 flight suit?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
The Navy M421A? No, there was no equivalent lightweight jacket at that time.

Sweeting's Combat Flying Clothing, tells how, in hot overseas areas, crewman would cut the sleeves off the Summer flying suits, or simply fly in khaki uniforms.

pipvh

Thanks, David.

would army aircrew wear M-241As if they got hold of them, or similar private purchase jackets, do you think?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
pipvh said:
would army aircrew wear M-241As if they got hold of them, or similar private purchase jackets, do you think?

M421A's ... :)

I guess, but I don't think it was commonplace.

pipvh

Re: M-421A equivalent for Army flyers?

Ah, yes, the old M 2 for 1...

Can you tell I'm numerically dyslexic?

Fairly mundane reason for asking the question, btw. I'm thinking of buying one of those Hayley Aviation M421b jackets and I'm very fond of the 6th Night Fighter Squadron patch, so I'm looking for some justification, however tenuous, to combine the two.

Cheers,

Pip

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Re: M-421A equivalent for Army flyers?

pipvh said:
Fairly mundane reason for asking the question, btw. I'm thinking of buying one of those Hayley Aviation M421b jackets and I'm very fond of the 6th Night Fighter Squadron patch, so I'm looking for some justification, however tenuous, to combine the two.

Ah okay, the Haley M421B has only two patch pockets, like the M421, or early version M421A ... they leave off the chest pocket.

So go for it ... they need brightening up. ;)

TankBuster

Pip,

Theater made Bush jackets or Army field jackets were used by many of the AAF in the Pacific. Bush jackets were big with guys stationed in China. I'm at work, but do have one at home I can photograph for you. I would say either one of those were comparable to the Navy jacket.

zoomer

Any intel on the build/goods quality of the Haley '421?
The label strongly resembles that on the rather flimsy, non-water-shedding WPG model...makes me suspicious.

Were M1941 field jackets common in the PTO? If so that would be a very good Army option.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
pipvh said:
What exactly was the AN6551? Could that be what I'm after?

It replaced the M421b in 1944, now with four pockets.

.... where you gonna sew the patch?