• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-1951 jacket - at last !

EmergencyIan

Ian, any idea on the furry button on hoods ? Are they all dual fitting between the m51 & m65 jackets ?

That I don’t know. I suppose it may be possible. I’ve just never considered it.

You know, I look at those hoods a couple of years ago, it never did pull he trigger on one. I wasn’t sure about sizing and when I inquired with the sellers they always told me that the goods were very large. With that information, I wasn’t sure what I was getting into and I think the hoods were labeled as M-1950, so I wasn’t certain they would fit the M-51 jacket. Either way, if I’m confusing any info, I do know that I wasn’t clear about the hoods and since nice ones were cheap, I left it alone.

- Ian

EmergencyIan

Ok, I refreshed my memory regarding the M-51 hoods. What I found were M-1951 fishtail parka hoods. I wasn’t sure if they would attach properly to the M-1951 field jacket. I know that the fishtail parka hoods attach to the already attached hood and to the parka body/shell. None of the sellers could give me a clear answer as to whether or not these hoods would fit onto the jacket. So, I left it alone after almost pulling the trigger.

As an aside, it looks like people manufacture nice repro winter hoods for the M-51 fishtail parka.

- Ian

Flightengineer

Oh, that’s great to know. Thank you for sharing that! I do appreciate it.

- Ian

Ian, not at all, we are all here to share knowledge with each other.
Once I bought two original hoods M51 from 50's in the States, one with fur, one with removed fur.
This small M51 hood is much better than the huge hood from the M65 parka - which is huge because of what should have been used over the helmet (which can also be used with this jackets if needed)
Several times I used to fasten this hood to my M51 and M65 jackets, but usually I wear these jackets without a liner and a hood - in cold summer over t-shirt.

EmergencyIan

Ian, not at all, we are all here to share knowledge with each other.
Once I bought two original hoods M51 from 50's in the States, one with fur, one with removed fur.
This small M51 hood is much better than the huge hood from the M65 parka - which is huge because of what should have been used over the helmet (which can also be used with this jackets if needed)
Several times I used to fasten this hood to my M51 and M65 jackets, but usually I wear these jackets without a liner and a hood - in cold summer over t-shirt.

Love that hood! It looks fantastic. Again, I’m very happy that you read this thread and were able to address an issue at hand. Very helpful!

I do have a question, do the M-51 hoods have a size? If not, that’s just fine. I don’t see a size on yours. I just want to know what to look for.

- Ian

Officer Dibley

I need to get one of those real fur hoods for when my m51 arrives - hopefully next week.
Ian, you're aware of Shelby Stanton's uniforn books and especially the one on the Korean War, right ?
Dave

EmergencyIan

I need to get one of those real fur hoods for when my m51 arrives - hopefully next week.
Ian, you're aware of Shelby Stanton's uniforn books and especially the one on the Korean War, right ?
Dave

Actually, I just double checked and I guess I’m not. Of all of the uniform books I own, none are by Stanton, somehow. That’s saying something, since I own a number of them. However, a glaring omission is Full Gear. On top of that, I only having uniform books regarding WWII. Honestly, until now, I had been unaware that there was a uniform book on the Korean War.

I’m assuming that Stanton’s books are quite well done. Is that right?

- Ian

falcon_ib

Stanton's books are well-researched and informative, though there is controversy about his own service and achievements. If anyone wants specific info without having to buy the whole books let me know; I have his books on WW2 Korea and Vietnam and am happy to post pictures.

Evan

EmergencyIan

Stanton's books are well-researched and informative, though there is controversy about his own service and achievements. If anyone wants specific info without having to buy the whole books let me know; I have his books on WW2 Korea and Vietnam and am happy to post pictures.

Evan

This story sounds vaguely familiar. I may have been told about his books before. It’s odd that I’m not familiar with them, because I really do have quite the collection. I even purchased I ef n purchase Charles Lemons extensive series of books a couple of Christmases ago. That set me back about $500. Now, I’ll have to, at least, look into Stanton’s books.

- Ian

Officer Dibley

Just looked on Amazon and the Stanton Korean War uniforms book is £161 !! I think i paid £15.
Mind you i sold my Rin Tanaka book on Steve McQueen for over £600 last year when i'd "only" paid £40 for it just a few years ago.

Stanton is good, he uses a lot of Natick Labs data. I can't comment on his military record and frankly i don't care. It would be like discounting some our "experts" here's knowledge because the nearest they ever got to wearing a uniform for real was when they were a cub scout.

If the info is good, that's all that counts

EmergencyIan

Just looked on Amazon and the Stanton Korean War uniforms book is £161 !! I think i paid £15.
Mind you i sold my Rin Tanaka book on Steve McQueen for over £600 last year when i'd "only" paid £40 for it just a few years ago.

Stanton is good, he uses a lot of Natick Labs data. I can't comment on his military record and frankly i don't care. It would be like discounting some our "experts" here's knowledge because the nearest they ever got to wearing a uniform for real was when they were a cub scout.

If the info is good, that's all that counts

I agree. I don’t know any thing about the authors of the uniform books that I own. I’m just looking for good/reliable information and, frankly, good photographs. Though, if there isn’t integrity in one area of someone’s life, they MAY not be so reliable when it comes to other things. It’s difficult to know. Until now, I really had not considered any issues like this. Other than possibly having heard about it in a conversation with someone, it’s all news to me. That said, I’d still be interested in his book, but not at that price. LOL I need to check around for Full Gear, as well.

- Ian

Officer Dibley

Not good enough natural light.... will post better when i see some natural sunlight-- probably next June !

IMG_0096.JPG

Last edited: