• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mützenfabrik Diamand

DiamondDave

Gents,

Just a quick announcement of my intention to accurately represent the Axis powers in the form of crusher caps as well!

LW8.jpg

Lw7.jpg

Lw6.jpg

LW9.jpg

LW5.jpg

DD

ausreenactor

Another work of art, and just remembered the USMC Visor project..did you have the side buttons still?

Will have to tackle this as a priority...among other priority projects.. :oops:

Couchy

Andrew

Amazing work Dave, it'll be interesting to see how that raw visor will age up. Are you doing the insignia as well and what sort of marking are you putting in them to identify them as repros? These are so good they'll be back on sale as the real deal in no time.

DiamondDave

Andrew said:
Amazing work Dave, it'll be interesting to see how that raw visor will age up. Are you doing the insignia as well and what sort of marking are you putting in them to identify them as repros? These are so good they'll be back on sale as the real deal in no time.

Thank to all for the kind words...

Andrew,

No I am not making the insignia myself... that WOULD be impressive though! As for marking, yes these will all be dated on the interior band, which will be less than obvious but will always allow collectors and dealers to identify later on. This is a major concern, as I DO NOT want to be labeled as a seller of "Fakes" instead of an honest student of the milliners art both Allied and Axis. These will always be clearly labeled as reproductions.

On a side note, although I know it is irrational, I have a somewhat eerie feeling with each of these that I make... perhaps it is the swastika thing. I have already built a solid reputation in the community and I hope that these will not tarnish that... it is just a natural progression of the work that I have already done... I HOPE!

DD

unclegrumpy

Question: I once had a white topped, but non crusher, Luftwaffe Officers cap. It had silver piping....is the white piping a crusher related thing?

DiamondDave

Uncle,

Yes apparently it was an affectation that was picked up from the Kriegsmarine as they always had piping that matched the topper. As a matter of fact some of the toppers on originals seem to be exactly that, Navy toppers! This I say because they are often removable and are almost always fully round and lack the saddle shape topper of the Army and normal Luftwaffe caps. They also seem to quite often be missing the crown markings that would prove my theory. Again just a theory.

This cap is meant to represent a Tailor Made "Knautschmütze" although I did include an official rhomboid from the procurement office of the luftwaffe in this first one, as a test of that piece for later productions.

DD

unclegrumpy

Thanks Dave, that is really interesting! I have always thought the piping on German caps has some interesting variables...sometimes going with the branch colors or rank designation and sometimes not either.

Question: If this crusher were blue topped, what would the piping be?

A) Matching Blue

B) Flight Branch Yellow

C) Officer Silver

DiamondDave

If the topper were bue, it would like as not have a silver piping for an Officer, or cavalry yellow for an FJ or EM flight personnel.

DD

On a side note: I have decided that I will make these caps for the "professional soldier, sailor and flight/FJ" and will stay away from the SS and Political

unclegrumpy

DiamondDave said:
On a side note: I have decided that I will make these caps for the "professional soldier, sailor and flight/FJ" and will stay away from the SS and Political
Thanks Dave!

One style cap that is not on your list that would be really neat, is the WW I German field/semi crush cap that you see the pilots wearing. I am not sure anyone is making these. They would be really fun because the piping, hatband colors, and such could vary a lot, since many of the pilots continued to carry the colors and traditions of their former units along with them.

It would be interesting to hear if the guys think there would be a market for these. I do know of a guy who was looking for a WW I era RFC/RAF hat, so I am wondering if others would be interested in those as well....not that you need more or work or territorial expansion! :D