• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lt Harmon

dujardin

month ago i present this photo
HarmonLt.jpg

today i discover this one on ebay
314.jpg

byeeeeeee marcel

fraazierjo

LT. harmon ended up being a famous sports announcer and was succeeded by his equally good looking actor/son. Anyone know who I'm talking about?

Mac

Tom Harmon was also a Heisman Trophy winner (American football) at Michigan. His son, Mark Harmon, quarterbacked for UCLA.

Mac

atkins

fraazierjo said:
LT. harmon ended up being a famous sports announcer and was succeeded by his equally good looking actor/son. Anyone know who I'm talking about?

Mark Harmon?

dujardin

when i discover the first photo month ago, i wonder if there was a connection between this pilot and the well knowed actor Mark Harmon.
i start a little search at that time and discover this on wikipédia

-----------------------------
[edit] World War II
During World War II Tom Harmon enlisted as a pilot in the Army Air Corps on November 8, 1941. Early in 1943, Harmon parachuted into the South American Jungle when his plane flew into a tropical storm. None of the other crewmen bailed out or survived. He was the object of a massive regional search operation once his plane was reported missing. Four days later he stumbled into a clearing in Dutch Guiana. He transferred to single seat fighters.

He was awarded the Purple Heart and the Silver Star for his actions with the 449th Fighter Squadron. These included having his plane shot down over Japanese occupied China. He saved his silk parachute and it was later used as the material for his wife's wedding dress.

[edit] Pro football career
From 1946-1947 Harmon played football professionally with the Los Angeles Rams, but wartime injuries to his legs limited his effectiveness. He focused his professional career as planned on being a sports broadcaster on radio and television, one of the first athletes to make the transition from player to on-camera talent. In 1954, Harmon was enshrined in the College Football Hall of Fame.

[edit] After football
Tom Harmon married actress Elyse Knox, and much of their family entered show business. He is the father of actress Kristin Nelson, who at seventeen married recording artist Ricky Nelson, and of actress Kelly Harmon. His son is actor and former UCLA quarterback Mark Harmon, who is married to actress Pam Dawber, and he is the grandfather of twins Matthew Nelson and Gunnar Nelson, who perform as the rock and country music act Nelson, and actress Tracy Nelson.

aso aso aso.....
------------------------

byeeeeeee marcel

dujardin

searching more infos, i rediscover the link i saw the picture for the first time.
take a little time to watch some nice photos and discover his history and also about 449th FS.

http://images.google.be/imgres?imgurl=h ... jAeLiqC2Cw

his B25 was called ''Little Butch'' and his P38 ''Little Butch II''.
if you look on the photo presents in the link, you will see a connection with his nice patch

i also discover this B/W version of the second photo of my original post
harmon-airforce.jpg

and this one, in charming company of Elise Knox
TomHarmonEliseKnox.jpg

byeeeeee marcel

atkins

fraazierjo said:

Are you sure it's Rough Wear? Nevertheless a great looking jacket.

Thanks very much ,Marcel.

Roughwear

It could well be a RW, but the pocket flaps are gently curved with wider stitching so could it just be a Perry?

Dr H

Andrew said:
:cool: , how bout a bit more on Elise Knox Marcel!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elyse_Knox
Born Elsie Lillian Kornbrath to Frederick and Elizabeth Kornbrath[1] in Hartford, Connecticut, she is not the daughter of U.S. Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox, despite many modern sources suggesting she is. She studied at the Traphagen School of Fashion in Manhattan then embarked on a career in fashion design. Her good looks enabled her to model some of her own creations for Vogue magazine that led to a contract offer from Twentieth Century Fox film studio in 1937.
Knox performed mainly in minor or secondary roles until 1942 when she had a leading role with Lon Chaney, Jr. in The Mummy's Tomb, one of the series of Mummy horror films made by Universal Studios. Knox appeared as herself in the Universal Studios 1944 production "Follow the Boys," one of the World War II morale-booster films made for both the soldiers serving overseas as well as civilians at home. Knox also was a pin up girl during the War, appearing in such magazines as YANK, a weekly put out by the United States Military.

In late 1945, she was signed by Monogram Pictures to portray Anne Howe, the love interest of fictional boxer Joe Palooka in Joe Palooka, Champ. Based on the very popular comic strip, the instant success of the May 1946 film led to Elyse Knox appearing in another five Joe Palooka productions. After acting in thirty-nine films, Elyse Knox retired in 1949 following her performance in the musical film There's a Girl in My Heart.

Knox continued to do modeling work for print ads and while appearing on the Bing Crosby radio show she met football star Tom Harmon. They became engaged, but broke up when Harmon entered the U.S. Army Air Corps in 1942. That year, Knox married fashion photographer Paul Hesse, who had shot many of her print ads and magazine covers. The marriage was brief. Following her divorce and Tom Harmon's return from World War II (during which he survived two plane crashes and being lost in the jungle), she and Harmon married in 1944. Knox's wedding dress was made from silk from the parachute Harmon used when bailing out of his crippled plane.[2] The couple remained together until his death in 1990. They had three children, Kristin (b.1945), an actress and painter who at seventeen married recording artist Ricky Nelson and had Tracy, twins Gunnar and Matthew, and son Sam; Kelly (b. 1948), who modeled and also acted in film and television (TJ Hooker) and was once married to automaker John DeLorean; and Mark (b.1951), film and television actor who starred in films such as The Presidio and the current TV show NCIS.