• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a genuine G-1 + cuffs and waitband issues

Liffa

Hi everyone,

I live in Sweden and just registered to this forum. I have been scanning ebay for a genuine G-1 jacket, not too expensive. There seem to be alot of G-1s from the early 70’s for sale, ranging from 200-400 usd depending on condition. Is this a fair price? With postage, import tax and other fees I would have to add another 200USD on top of this most likely, which bothers me.

I just now happened to find a Brill Bros G-1 for sale on the Swedish version of ebay. The overall condition seems good, however the original cuffs and waistband have been replaced to new ones made of goat skin for some reason…more durable I guess. See photos attached. I would much have prefered the original look, perhaps I can have someone replace the cuffs or should I just look for another jacket? The highest bid is now approx 30 USD , but the jacket will probably sell for more than 100-150 USD Is my guess.

Thanks
Peter

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpeg
    IMG_1126.jpeg
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1127.jpeg
    IMG_1127.jpeg
    427 KB · Views: 64

Liffa

I have also found an imperial leather G-1 in very good condition for 300USD (3000SEK), dated 76 it looks like and size 42 which is possibly one size too small for me. I personally prefer the look of the Brill Bros if it wasnt for the replaced parts. I also read about imperial leather jackets being ”noisy”. Is this something I should worry about?

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpeg
    IMG_1129.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1128.jpeg
    IMG_1128.jpeg
    613.4 KB · Views: 70

Brettafett

Ive renovated a number of original G-1s now. It's costly if done correctly, but worth it for the right jacket.
What size are you?

Cheaper is not always better.
Recommend patience and look for an original black label G-1 (up to D series).
These will mostly be goat with genuine mouton fur collars. Depending on size and condition you should be able to get one for $200 all the way up, depending on condition.
Plus postage and duties.

Best knits you are likely to find would be Headwind Mfg, MASH Japan and Eastman Leather UK (expensive)

Replacing knit is best be done by someone who knows what they are doing or you risk having overstitching, different colour threads, added stitch lines etc.
If you have someone local and can use the same stitch holes, and understand these jackets, great.

Note - Not only the knit parts, but other potential issues and things to be aware of... Zipper (expensive, esp the further back in time you go), lining (correct lining not easy to find, need expertise to to replace), fur collar, stitching, elastics, leather condition (cuts, stitch holes, scratches, paint stains) etc
Not to mention odours & cleaning.
If you dont mind wearing a beaten up, musky, jacket with potential issues... You will find the search easier.

Noisy leather likely needs a clean and some conditioning.

Last edited:

johnwayne

Hi Liffa, welcome to the forum!
G1’s are generally a trim fit that sits on the waist but due to the bi-swing back are more roomy in the body than say an A2.
You are possibly aware that 70’s G1’s have the Dynal faux fur collar (as those you posted) whereas say 50’s have the real fur mouton collar and better/nicer in most fans of G1 jackets here, I think! Personally I would stay away from the one with the leather replaced cuffs/waistband even though they could be replaced of course and also get your preferred size, ask for measurements, don’t decide on stated size alone as even jackets of same size very!!
I have two 1957 Cagleco’s and one is slightly tighter, only marginally but noticeable!!! Best advice I could offer is be patient as they do come up often, even here on the ‘For sale’ page and try to stick to your budget - good originals can be cheaper than some repros. Sorry, not much I can suggest re local taxes!!!!

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Hi everyone,

I live in Sweden and just registered to this forum. I have been scanning ebay for a genuine G-1 jacket, not too expensive. There seem to be alot of G-1s from the early 70’s for sale, ranging from 200-400 usd depending on condition. Is this a fair price? With postage, import tax and other fees I would have to add another 200USD on top of this most likely, which bothers me.

I just now happened to find a Brill Bros G-1 for sale on the Swedish version of ebay. The overall condition seems good, however the original cuffs and waistband have been replaced to new ones made of goat skin for some reason…more durable I guess. See photos attached. I would much have prefered the original look, perhaps I can have someone replace the cuffs or should I just look for another jacket? The highest bid is now approx 30 USD , but the jacket will probably sell for more than 100-150 USD Is my guess.

Thanks
Peter
Finding a good example is possible. However, I would recommend you staying out of that example from the pics. It is going to be a nightmare for you and your pocket.

Liffa

Ive renovated a number of original G-1s now. It's costly if done correctly, but worth it for the right jacket.
What size are you?

Cheaper is not always better.
Recommend patience and look for an original black label G-1 (up to D series).
These will mostly be goat with genuine mouton fur collars. Depending on size and condition you should be able to get one for $200 all the way up, depending on condition.
Plus postage and duties.

Best knits you are likely to find would be Headwind Mfg, MASH Japan and Eastman Leather UK (expensive)

Replacing knit is best be done by someone who knows what they are doing or you risk having overstitching, different colour threads, added stitch lines etc.
If you have someone local and can use the sae stitch holes, great.

Note - Not only the knit parts, but other potential issues and things to be aware of... Zipper, lining, fur collar, stitching, elastics, leather condition etc
Not to mention odours & cleaning.

Noisy leather likely needs a clean and some conditioning.
Thanks for your reply. My chest circumference meassures 43 inches, so I assume a size 44 will probably fit me. After reading yours and others recommendations I will stay away from this jacket, unless I get it for 30-40 usd :) I would however not try to fix it.

Ok, I will look for the black labelled jackets. I have a feeling these are going to cost me alot more, but maybe it is worth it.

mulceber

Thanks for your reply. My chest circumference meassures 43 inches, so I assume a size 44 will probably fit me. After reading yours and others recommendations I will stay away from this jacket, unless I get it for 30-40 usd :) I would however not try to fix it.
I think you'd more likely fit a typical size 46, tbh. Better to size up for both A-2s and G-1s.

Liffa

Hi Liffa, welcome to the forum!
G1’s are generally a trim fit that sits on the waist but due to the bi-swing back are more roomy in the body than say an A2.
You are possibly aware that 70’s G1’s have the Dynal faux fur collar (as those you posted) whereas say 50’s have the real fur mouton collar and better/nicer in most fans of G1 jackets here, I think! Personally I would stay away from the one with the leather replaced cuffs/waistband even though they could be replaced of course and also get your preferred size, ask for measurements, don’t decide on stated size alone as even jackets of same size very!!
I have two 1957 Cagleco’s and one is slightly tighter, only marginally but noticeable!!! Best advice I could offer is be patient as they do come up often, even here on the ‘For sale’ page and try to stick to your budget - good originals can be cheaper than some repros. Sorry, not much I can suggest re local taxes!!!!
Hi Johnwayne and thank you! Yes, I read the the dynal collars were introduced around 1969/1970. I would for sure pick a jacket with a fur mouton collar over the dynal versions.

Good advice, I will make sure to get the meassurements. A repro is definitely not an option if I can get an original jacket for about the same price :) I figure an original jacket should see an increase in value also.

Liffa

I think you'd more likely fit a typical size 46, tbh. Better to size up for both A-2s and G-1s.
Oh, that is not good news for me. Size 46 is less common from what I have seen. I am 193cm (6.3 feet?) tall and weigh about 80kg, so not much of a belly going on at the moment. I was hoping a size 44 would be big enough, but perheps you are right. It would be good if I could fit a layer or two of clothing under the jacket also.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Ok, I will look for the black labelled jackets. I have a feeling these are going to cost me alot more, but maybe it is worth it.
You might find a good deal but patience is always worth it.

Liffa

A general question about these jackets - some of them come with patches and name tags even. Does this increase or decrease the value (assuming the patches are not fake ones)? The patched jackets seem to be more expensive on ebay and I personally dont mind abit of patina and history.

Erwin

Peter, do not consider buying repro at all. Even these made by people with great reputation are just a imitations/fakes like repro watches. Without any historical values.....Just my opinion, even the most accurate replica would be just replica and shouldn't be even called Cagleco, Monarch etc. These should be called AKA Cagleco or Monarch ;)

G1's are comparable easy to find, just you need time to catch a great offer ;)

Liffa

The only other jacket that I can find for sale in Sweden is a smaller sized jacket that the seller believe is from the 40's or 50's (by looking at the zip thing). No tag seems to be attached. He is asking 100 usd as a starting price. Any value in these jackets if tags are missing? The collar appears to be fur, but I am no expert obviously. The leather has alot of patina :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240508-185214_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240508-185214_Facebook.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20240508-185220_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240508-185220_Facebook.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20240508-185234_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240508-185234_Facebook.jpg
    591.6 KB · Views: 37

mulceber

Not a bad jacket for $100. Definitely real fur, and it looks like it has a shearling liner, which will be nice.

Erwin

Jorgen is 100% right, USA is a proper place to look for G1 jacket. Just try to avoid G1 made from cowhides with artificial für, really ugly stuff in my opinion.

Close to Sweden currently you can get this one .... But it is a repro, can be a good starter kit, also relatively cheap one ;)
IMG_20240508_232928.jpg

IMG_20240508_232942.jpg

Cheating on shipping is not a bad idea, just in case there is an issue with parcel, you wouldn't be properly insured, but worthy trying.